Friday, April 8, 2011

JUST DO IT!!!!!



This past year I decided that I didn't have enough projects on the go
that I didn't have enough 'crafts' to make
and I could always use ONE MORE hobby!
Peeking inside to my clean room!

For a long, long, long (!!!) time, I had swooned over beautifully created
art journals that artists wrote about in books and posted online and and deep down,
I wished that I could do it too!

I already had some of the necessary supplies around the house
(why aren't you surprised?!)
but I was afraid to start!!!
I wasn't sure where to begin.

I had begun reading all sorts of blogs posted by journalers
and one day, I emailed a couple of bloggers asking how to start,
thinking it would be a good project for my homeschooling kids.
Well, Dawn graciously answered me (promptly), suggesting I buy an inexpensive sketch book and just start!
And so I did....

My creation
and I haven't stopped!

The thing about journaling is that it doesn't seem to take up too much space....

journaling items neatly tucked in a corner of my sewing table

and it is pretty easy to just lay some gesso
or slab some paint on the paper
or press a couple of stamps onto the surface
and walk away.

Okay...
on cleaning day, I notice that my journaling supplies seem to have migrated!
well, some times, supplies tend to spread around the room!!!

Before I left on my quilting cruise,
I prepared a small journal by laying gesso on each spread,
painting it with acrylic paint,
adding some collage and stamps
and as I vacationed...
I doodled, journaled, and even glued in some souvenirs.

Travel Journal collaged

When I got home, I had some photos printed and added them.
Now it is fun to leaf through the pages!

My journals have been a place to write about good times...

Let the Good Times Roll!

try out a style that I have seen...

Wannabes

or mull something over...

One of those days!

Journaling has given me another outlet for creative expression.

This month, I have pledged to myself to at least work on my journal every day...

ArtJournalEveryDayLogo-150

So....
if you have been contemplating trying out a new technique,
a new craft, a new hairstyle,

I say.....

just DO IT!!!!

At home with my sewing utensils!

8 comments:

  1. well done!!! I've let my art journaling slide and really want to get back into it maybe this is the month to join Julie again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun, fabulous journal pages! I'm way back where you were before you started journaling - I just admire others!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay you! those journal pages look fabulous, sometimes the hardest thing is to just do it! and I have to say I love your studio space, creative mess and all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Journaling looks like so much fun! I'm still just at the admiring stage though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been very busy, Lisa. I love all the colours and styles in your books. I likke making my own books, too. I have been following the sketchbook challenge, but this month's theme has not even got a scribble. I have been too busy with our challenge, but perhaps you have given me the urge to get back to it

    ReplyDelete
  6. me again. Did you see this post by jane lafazio? http://janeville.blogspot.com/2011/04/tiny-tutorial-sketching-and-painting.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you have certainly thrown down the gauntlet!! Now those of us who don't do art journaling will feel like schmucks!! You make it sound so easy and so invigorating. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, So glad you are back! Your journal pages are wonderful! I also feel inspired with your efforts to improve your health. I am starting down that road today. I need to lose more than a few pounds and get some stamina back. Wish me luck - I sure am going to need it!

    ReplyDelete