Monday, August 29, 2011

Sunday, Floody Sunday...

or...
The Night Day the Lights Went Out in Georgia Upstate NY

Bet you didn't know that U2 and Bobby Russell wrote songs just for me!!!!

Hurricane Irene meets upstatelisa
(my version is from here)

So Sunday went like this...
7:00 AM... woke up (yes, I slept in!) to driving rain and wind
Hurricane Irene had arrived here...
Hurricane Irene came to upstate NY

enjoyed a cup of coffee, checked my email

7:30 AM... read the newspaper
8:00 AM... worked on the crossword puzzle
answered inquiries regarding our vacant apt advertised in the local paper

8:45... took a shower
while shampooing my hair, it suddenly became dark 
(as in the power went out!)  
ARGH 
10:15 AM... go out to show vacant apartment to prospective tenants

12:00 PM... took a nap!

2:45 PM... woke up in the dark (still!)

3:00 PM... read

what I did when Hurricane Irene came to upstate NY

3:30 PM...wished that the power hadn't gone off before
I had my second cup of coffee (yaaaawwwn)

what I did when Hurricane Irene came to upstate NY

4:30 PM...iPhone told me it has a low battery

what I did when Hurricane Irene came to upstate NY

4:40 PM...electrical noise heard twice 
(sounds oddly like a transformer turning off, or perhaps on?)

what I did when Hurricane Irene came to upstate NY

iPhone battery is dangerously low!
getting windier

4:47 PM... another, similar electrical noise

6:00 PM...  kids cooked dinner on the one burner camp stove

6:15 PM...our neighbor started his generator
there are breaks in the clouds, no rain but still windy

7:30 PM...read by candlelight

how I spent my day with Irene (that is Hurricane Irene)

7:43 PM... I tell Sugarbaby that it would be nice if the power would 
come back on before we head to bed,
Sugarbaby dreamily says, "yeah"
and miraculously the power turned on!!!

I washed the day's dishes,
we straightened up,
had a snack,
Nature Boy prepared a pizza and turned on the oven

the lights began to flicker.....
and
8:48 PM... the power went back out!!!
Double ARGH!!!!


Just Another Day in Paradise...
Me on the floor
Hope your Sunday was uneventful too!


12 comments:

  1. Glad you made it thru the storm ok. Bummer that the power went out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy that nothing is broken in your place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We lost ours at 4pm Saturday and got it back at 2pm Sunday. We expected worse so we felt lucky. I just moved my chair next to the window and got out a pile of hand sewing projects and my MP3 player! Fortunately we had stockpiled jugs of water (we are on a well and have no water without power), made ice blocks for the freezers and could cook on the gas stove. I kept going out to the car to plug in my Droid to charge it! All in all, it wasn't too bad.
    I hope your power is back on now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! Glad that's over with and that you are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have three step sons who are electrical linemen, they havent get called east for this storm but they have worked others. Right now hundreds of crews are already in new york (i know one from south louisiana is there!) they drive for sometimes an entire day to get there, they sleep on a cot, sometimes the seat of the truck or in "dorm" rooms, they are eating what ever anyone feeds them because although they make great money doing it, they have no money when they get there. then they work 16 hrs a day at a very dangerous job. I am not telling you this to make you feel guilty, because i am really proud of them! but... if yall see a truck of linemen fixing your power lines, tell them thank you! and if its three good looking young men from east texas, feed them something for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad Irene left town without major damage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you at least get your phone charged, lol? I don't mind power going out once in awhile, especially when I'm prepared - but it's always lovely to get it back quick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a day!! Thankfully you are safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa!!!! Just visited your blog and it's great! You are too funny!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ugh. at least you got the dishes done! hope that's the worst of it over with. love the crayon painting.

    ReplyDelete