Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Everybody's working for Wednesday...


Or at least, I am!!!!!


Okay, if it's Wednesday, you too should be working with your workbook!!!!


Art Quilt Workbork by Jane Davila and Elin Waterston borrowed from the library

Actually, I have been scrambling to get some projects done to post today (hence some of the mania that is currently occuring in my sewing room!)


Patty sent me photos of some of her work on chapter 2....

I love her color combinations...

Patty A's colors



and her sketches....

Patty A's sketches



I figured that I had better have something to show you all, so I tried the 'pear' exercise in chapter 3...

pear: chapter 3 exercise



I love the shading!!!!

I wish I could come up with some of this all by myself!!!!!

pear: chapter 3 exercise

Okay...

In chapter 1 (waaaay back a couple of weeks), you are asked to come up with a theme.

At first, I thought of my faithful ol' houses that I love to make...

overlapping

then I thought about tulips which should be blooming around here soon
(if the deer don't chew the tops off... I stopped planting them after the first year because of this!)


tulips

But after our trip to the desert....

some sketching of my 'theme'

You guessed it!!!!

My theme will be the CACTUS!!!!!!

So, I got busy with the first of  the 9 inch x 12 inch quilts....
In this one, I used my blue hand dyed fabric for the background,
and painted blobs of green acrylic paint on it.


painted and stitched cacti

The blobs were sort-of-not-very random
so that I could stitch them to look like cacti!!!!

painted and stitched cacti

This was the first time that I have painted on fabric...
and it needs some work!
I would love to hear of your experiences!!

I also used my recent adventure with bits and pieces of fabric,
tulle and spray adhesive to make this cactus...


sajuaro cactus

I am really happy with this one!!!!

Again, hand dyed background, hand dyed itty bitty pieces..
tulle on top and quilted with Peltex on the back.

I didn't bind these quilts but rather zigzagged the edges
and sewed nubby wool fibers around the edges.


Chapter 3 talks a lot about using photos for inspiration or
right in your quilt.

That is something that I have only recently begun exploring...

photos ---> quilts???

I will try some more again this weekend.


 I have started a flickr group for Workbook Wednesday!
Drop me a line if you would like an invitation to join...

in the meantime, please keep me posted on your progress!!!!


SPF#14, 4/2/10: A green cactusI'll be hanging out with the cacti!

4 comments:

  1. Lisa, I spent another night in the yard working so I am behind on my homework. I plan on doing the pear piece (I managed to find some heat and bond!)and my theme I think will be the Swiss cross. I am going to try and get caught up this weekend. The weather is still good so yard work again tonight, Thrusday there is a lecture by an artist Willie Cook at the art museum I would like to go to, so the next thing you know it's Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still on chapter 2, but I will be working on it today. I have decided on windows as my theme, and I'm leaning towards a blue/green/aqua colourway, but maybe I should choose something else to challenge myself more, as those are the colours I naturally gravitate towards. I'll see what I decide after completing my colour exercises today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got the Art Quilt workbook, but that's as far as I got ;-) You've made great progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No progress to report but had to say, lurve that catcus! Very Lisa!!

    ReplyDelete