Thursday, April 15, 2010

Apparently.....



Our postal carrier is not a quilter!!!!!!
SNAFU at the USPS

Lucky for me!!!!!

A package of fabric from Fabric Shack arrived today (more or less!)  but fortunately... all the fabric was still there!


SNAFU at the USPS



When I opened the remains of the envelope, this was all the cardboard left!!!

this was all the cardboard left of the envelope!

Do you think the Post Office tried to run it through the same machine that they feed the envelopes?

My acquisitions included some more black and whites ...


black/white, of course!

(you can never have too many of them!)

and some


solids with a dot peeking out on the bottom

for this month's row for our 'row 10' group (this month is mine!)... I chose Gee's Bend inspired piecing.

In the meantime, I am enjoying putting together my dresden plates....


dresden plate blocks so far...

and no.... you are not seeing spots!!!!!

I now have plenty of hand work to keep me busy
(for those times when I take the kids places or watch tv with Mr. U).



SPF 15/52, 4/9/10: Enjoying Have a great night!!! (and keep an eye on your postal carrier!)

6 comments:

  1. I like your dresdens and your background. I'm making some too, but played it safe with a white background, altho now that I see what you're doing, I'm reconsidering. how big are your plates?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had this same problem before and it's not the post office that's to blame. Sellers need to know that those flat rate envelopes are flimsy. Especially when they cram them to the point of bursting. My post office wont accept flat rate envelopes if they are thicker than 4" because of this.

    I've had to contact many quilt shops to let them now that I am more than willing to pay the few dollars extra it would take for them to use a box to ship my fabrics.

    Glad to see your whole order was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. O my word; that envelope is something. I guess you're lucky to have gotten it, right?!

    The issue with overstuffing the flat rate envelope (Ryan mentioned it above) is a tricky one. I, too, do not like the idea of shoving several yards of fabric into that envelope. It is definitely outside the spirit of how that envelope is to be used; logistically, it is not designed for fabric, and is indeed too flimsy for several yards.

    However, not all buyers are like Ryan. I have an Etsy fabric shop; I was told by one buyer, that unless I crammed six yards of fabric into the flat rate envelope, she would not buy it. Period. Sellers know that they will miss a sale unless they can offer the cheapest shipping possible.

    So, it's a Catch 22. And there's no easy answer to it. But I am very glad you got all of your fabric! And the Dresden Plate quilt is shaping up beautifully, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your fabric wasn't lost or damaged. Our mail carrier often crams too-big packages into our mailbox...and sometimes we can hardly get them out........mail service isn't what it used to be years ago...regardless of whether the items are boxed properly or in a flat-rate envelope, I have found.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see the only thing lost was some cardboard...better that than a fat 1/4!

    Love your Dresden flowers...The colours on the black really make it POP. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny about your package. Makes you wonder what battle it was in! Love the fabric. LOVE THAT QUILT! I want to make it too.

    ReplyDelete