Friday, May 20, 2011

Cooking up something in my "lab"......

This week, my sewing room has felt a little bit like a lab
and I feel a little bit like Beaker...


I didn't set anything on fire or blow anything up...

unnatural disaster
(well.... not really!)
but I still managed to make a colossal mess...

painting on the floor

Almost every surface in my sewing room was used for something!!!

many photos printed later...

Like Beaker, I had a lot of trial and error...

playing with Lutradur and paint
 Pebeo Setacolor paint, Jacquard Lumiere paint,
and Caran D'Ache Neocolor artist crayons on Lutradur


and some experiments didn't go quite as planned...

TAP transfer on Lutradur versus TAP transfer on polymer clay
...I decided that after spending a lot of time transferring an image with TAP
onto polymer clay (on the right) and baking it.... it didn't look so great,
so I went with the image transferred with TAP onto painted Lutradur (on the left)!

And then I got sidetracked....

Lutradur painted laying to dry on watercolor paper

and spent an evening just painting on Lutradur and not finishing the quilt!!!!

In the end,
I sandwiched the transferred image onto some Peltex
and backed with fabric, zigzagged around the edges,
added an eyelet and then secured it to the quilt right where you might find the park on the map!!!

close up of Hudson River Park

You can also see the french knots that I added for trees...

close up of highway

and the added quilted lines that I had traced from the enlarged map onto tracing paper
and quilted the roads onto the quilt.

We were also required to make a facing-type binding
and I found a great tutorial here...

back of "Along the River"

Finally, the label was sewn on last night!!!!

label


And so....
my experiment is done!!!!

"Along the River"

"Along the River"

(featuring the Hudson River as it passes by our hometown)

If you happen to be passing through upstate NY on June 4th or 5th,
you can see my quilt (and 5 others) along with many other quilts
from our guild members and visit the great vendors too at our quilt show!!!!


Me on the floor
Now who wants to clean up my 'lab'????

13 comments:

  1. wow lisa, you did a fantabulous job on your quilt! i am so impressed with all your work.
    now i want one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love it. The little photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy crap Lisa!!! It turned out amazingy. Totally awesome.

    I love your road map quilting, it really makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you need a sign over your door that says "Danger - Creative Genius At Work". This quilt is just amazing - I love every bit of it! BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! And thank you for sharing your creative 'mess' - I called my husband to have a look so he knows my room is 'normal'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks terrific Lisa!!

    I’ll make a screen saver picture of your artistic ‘chaos’! I feel so normal now!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Now that's an awe-inspiring quilt project! As for the mess, it just made me feel better about my own space - heehee!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you tacked on the little memorabilia pieces. As for your "lab", I think we are kindred spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This piece turned out fantastic! It is always more fun to clean up some else's mess, but I am too far away to pop over and help - sorry you are on your own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa, it turned out awesome. Love the added dimension Peltex'ed pieces. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky for me, I live abit to far to help with the cleaning, but it's nice to know we all do the same thing when we are working. Lisa, your quilt is so breathtaking. I have been watching all your steps for a few months now and seeing it finally done with all it's thoughtful, intricate details is wonderful. It is worth all the work you have put into it. congrats

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your quilt. It's so much fun to see something evolving like that and turning out so great. A great idea about those little photos attached to it as well, and the little French knot trees - great stuff!
    And I'm happy to say that I live too far away to help you tidying up. Then again, maybe you could have helped me with mine as well...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting process...as well as results! Look forward to finished piece!!

    working with lutradur

    ReplyDelete