Thursday, May 26, 2011

Reflecting on small miracles...

A little less than couple of months ago (that is, late March), 
our quilt guild show registration applications were already out
and I decided I had better enter some of my quilts.
Well, how about  6 quilts/pieces?!

Of course, I find that it's always best
 to have some pre-finished quilts on hand to enter in a show
that is happening two months later...
 
including 1quilt completed in 2009!

waverunner quilt done!

1 quilt finished in early 2010...

The quilt is done!

and 1 quilt finished in late 2010...

my quilt, Impromptu

but
that doesn't mean
you won't enter quilts that are not yet finished 
(I repeat not yet finished!)

like this..

1 quilt finished up at the end of April
(including finishing the hand quilting which I started in January!)

My quilt is done!
(though I still have to baste on a temporary sleeve for the show)

1 quilt made from start to finish in a month (phew!)...

"Along the River" (~18"x23")

1 quilt block for the guild block challenge
conceived one day and finished in two days (double phew!) this week...

Block challenge for guild show

and
1piece that is actually 5 separate panels that I made last spring
during my Workbook Wednesday series
which I decided to attach (completed this week.. better late than never!)

cacti panels are joined

Of course,
I also volunteered (what was I thinking?!)
to make 3 1/2 ballet skirts (for a mid May performance)
from slippery material and chiffon (yippee!),

making three ballet skirts to look like these...
(and I also ended up doing a lot of hand sewing too on Saturday at rehearsal!)

rented out two vacant apartments,
attended a family celebration out of the country last weekend,
homeschooled 2 children and took care of other mother duties.

And yet, I survived and miraculously got it all done!


Around the same time that the quilt show registration applications were sent in,
I ran my first race!

My first race (5 mi)- Shamrock Shuffle in Glens Falls NY

It is kind of unreal to me....
After baby #3 , it took time before I began regular exercise.
When she was 3, I began early morning walks in the summer.
When she was 5, I joined a gym again.
When she was 8 or 9, I began running a bit on the treadmill at the gym.
Now she is 12 (and I'm 49!), I can say that I run!

I started  running outside early  this spring and now I am hooked!

Running gives me time to think...

like dreaming up new quilty ideas!!!
or just letting my mind go blank (for a change!)
Since March 5th, I have run...

Since March 2011

Yes! that is 192.5 miles!!!
Who'd of thunk it possible????!!!
Certainly not me!


Me on the floor


Things are only impossible until they're not.  
~Jean-Luc Picard, Star Trek: The Next Generation



9 comments:

  1. You are quite a prolific lady! A good one too! Love your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilts!! I would love to start running but after baby #3 I could barely get my clothes on in the morning. I got to work once and had on two different shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness Lisa, where do you find the time? It's a good thing that your numbrs weren't mixed up! 192.5 quilts and 6 miles (giggle)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, now I am exhausted from reading your post. I look like such a slacker, but I am going to soak it all in and turn it into positive action! I love all the quilts esp. the black and white one. It is nice to see the experiment cacti pieces were turned into some cool art.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous quilts Lisa! And now, time to relax!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You Superwoman, you! :-)
    I love what you did with your Workbook wednesday quilts. I'm not even sure where I put mine...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Lisa, very productive... please me some of that productivity too. I seem to have lost mine.

    Love all your quilts, especially the first one and the the B&W funky trees. Good luck at the quilt show.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think you ever sleep!! You put me to shame. :-(
    I especially like the geometric, multicolored quilt you finished in April.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, you put us all to shame! You are so full of energy. I wish I had an ounce of your positivity and of course your creatitivy.
    My favourite in your massive output for this show are the cacti pieces, but your map quilt is also a masterpiece

    ReplyDelete