Monday, April 18, 2011

Don't Be Floored!!!!



 (or how I manage to spend a lot of time on my sewing room floor....)

Me on the floor

This year, our quilt guild has their every-second-year quilt show
and I decided to try the quilt challenge
soooooo.. 
in September, I purchased the blue fabric for the theme, "Along the River"
and guess what?!!!!!

It is now mid-April
and I am finally getting around to making the challenge quilt
which has been in my head for 6 or 7 months!
Nothing like last minute!!!!

(Some times, I think I work better under pressure.)

Anyway,
last year, inspired by a photo that Mr. U took on a hike up a nearby mountain
and a desire to try a new technique, partly in my head, partly seen elsewhere,


'Sunrise on the Mountain'

and I have had it in my head (since September),
that this technique might work nicely with the river challenge quilt.

Of course,
me being me,
my take on this technique is some what unconventional...

I find this method works best...

the river is waiting to be placed on the background

...on the floor!!!!

I can't sit on my chair, it is already occupied!

 (and I can't really sit on my chair right now anyway!!!)

So yesterday, I finally got to work,
 armed with my
iron and ironing pad on the floor...

iron and pad on the floor


fabric backed with Wonder Under on the floor...

a blob of fabrics on the floor (!!)

scissors, snacks, coffee, etc. on the floor....

iron, check! coffee, check! scissors, check! fabric, check!

and this time, I opted for a slab of wood (where else? but) on the floor...

slab of wood

so I could rotate my work while keeping it flat.

As you can see, I am still refining my technique.


My idea (still in my head)
was to use the challenge fabric along with some coordinating fabrics
to create the Hudson River which meanders through our area of upstate NY.

the river is waiting to be added to the background

Originally, I thought I would create the background around the river 
but since I liked the wonky edges created on the river,
(and paying no heed to the fact 
that I am really must finish this project- along with 2 others for the June 4-5 show!),
I cut the river out of the original interfacing backing
and placed a new interfacing backing on the map to create the background first...

starting to create the background

I used mostly my hand-dyed brown and green fabrics
along with a smattering of commercially available fabric
to create the background to resemble what our area looks like from the satellite view...

adding background browns, greens

The pieces of fabric were cut up in odd shapes, mostly resembling rectangles,
placed in random configuration around the river area

adding background browns, greens

and every so often, I would lay the release paper from the Wonder Under
atop the growing background and adhere the fabric pieces to the interfacing and other pieces of fabric
with my iron...

fusing the pieces back with Wonder Under onto the base of interfacing


Gradually, throughout the day,
the background grew...

Quilt Guild challenge

as did the mess....


the mess isn't getting any cleaner

Eventually, the river was delicately placed and adhered atop the background....

the river is in place

and I added the Interstate which goes right through the middle.

with the Interstate

There is still some tulle to place atop the quilt and a backing to add
before the quilting (and maybe some embellishing) is done


but I might be able to peel myself off the floor soon!

Me on the floor

17 comments:

  1. You amaze me with all you do and your talent and creativity!! Can't wait to see the finished product(s).

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks fabulous Lisa - what a lot of work, my back would be killing me if I was down on the floor that long working on something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish you the best in getting this done on time. I have a group piece I got involved in and it is due May 3 and I am in trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my goodness.....it looks like you're swimming in a river of fabric happiness! this is going to look spectacular when you're all finished with it.....let's just hope that you don't run out of floor-space.....heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks Fabulous!

    Can't wait to see it at the show :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is utterly fascinating to me - I wanted to do something similar with an aerial of Central Park, but can't find a good map, lol. I'm really impressed, Lisa, this is so gorgeous! I don't think I could do that on the floor though - I get down there but can't get back up. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  7. That really went together quickly once you got started!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, seeing your process is so cool, your work is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Decided to check your blog tonight and discovered that you are back. Yeah! I have enjoyed my Little House that I won on your blog. You have such an "interesting" art talent. Francis C. Moore

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are just TOO much. What an idea and great to succeed in implementing it! I hope you were able to get off the floor easily and without any pain or pins and needles in your legs and feet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Lisa! Your technique produced a wonderful result, and quickly too! Maybe I should get down on the floor too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lisa thanks for stopping bymy blog. I used "paper glitz" liguid on both the luminere and the iron on transfer. It is by Aleen's and they also have one that is matte but I found I like the glitz better...hope it helps. It just takes a little time to dry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous use of this technique with your 'Sunrise on the Mountain, so I'm looking forward to seeing your finished river piece! Looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your river! I can relate to working best under the pressure of waiting til the last minute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I must have missed this post, lisa, but this is absolutely fabulous. Now I am really looking forward to your challenge piece, because I can see it will be really worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow! i can't wait to see it finished! i do a lot of my work on the floor :)

    im in ohio...but my in-laws live on the hudson river nearish albany...we drive that part of the interstate every year...it makes it extra fun for me to see your quilt

    have you shared your technique before? i'm really interested in it? if you haven't shared, would you be willing to?

    ReplyDelete