Friday, October 29, 2010

Lessons learned

The other day, I listened to Amy on Creative Talk Radio 
and was reminded that her Blogger's Quilt Festival was around the corner.

As always, Amy asked to post about a quilt that we have made...
tell its story,  
tell why you made it, 
why it is special to you,
or
what you learned about quilting/yourself while making it.

Since my latest quilt, Impromptu, is fresh in my mind...

my quilt, Impromptu

this is the quilt I chose for the festival...


I learned a lot while creating this quilt!!

1.  I still covet black and white fabrics, I can never have enough of them!!!

polka dots and black/whites, black/color
(this is my stash just below my-also-coveted dot stash!)


2.  I slipped my bobbin thread through the hole in the bobbin case...

my quilt, Impromptu

and was really pleased with the quality of my free motion quilting stitches!!!

my quilt, Impromptu

3. Working with no real final plan in mind is fun but challenging...

progress is slow on my b/w log cabins
(and you really don't know how it will look in the end either!)



4.  Ideas don't always come out exactly as you see them in your mind...

binding inside corners is an art
(Binding an inside corner is tough and I had to let go of perfection... ugh!)

5.  One project out of your head....

my quilt, Impromptu

often leads to 4 other projects in your head!!!
I will start work on them soon, I hope!


Another lesson learned was yesterday on our latest homeschool field trip!

We visited the city's water treatment plant (I didn't take photos there, oops)
and we learned how the water from the local reservoirs and mountains is treated.

Who knew a water storage area was so beautiful!???

Beautiful view


and if you look into the distance, you can see the next state!

Beautiful view - You can see to VT!

Check out Amy's Blogger's Quilt Festival and the many other wonderful quilts!

At home with my sewing utensils!

Class dismissed!