Sunday, March 14, 2010

Ho-hum.... humdrum!

hum·drum   /ˈhʌmˌdrʌm/ [huhm-druhm]
–adjective
1.lacking variety; boring; dull: a humdrum existence

Feeling a little dull this week in the sewing room....

Ho hum.

I decided to cut into a fat quarter bundle recently to create some wall hangings for the bare walls in Mr. U's expanded office. I chose a quick and simple pattern from Terry Atkinson's Happy Hour.

This goes together fast but I am so unenthused by the process...

quilting done

I chose a meandering free motion quilting stitch for ease and speed...

close up of machine quilting on larger quilt

I took the remaining blocks, cut them in half, re-pieced them into a smaller hanging...

quilting in progress on smaller quilt

and am working on some wonky straight lines for this quilt...

close up of line quilting on smaller quilt

I also made a wallet at our guild's member workshops yesterday....

completed wallet

... I am thinking Christmas presents!!!

This past week, I mailed out my row for Kim who asked for gnomes, mushrooms and snails in reds and aquas...

Kim's row is done!

While I running 5 miles at the gym, blasting tunes in my ears, I have lots time to think.

Today, I realized that creating quilts from other people's patterns offers some quick, easy ways to create with fabric,  but I am feeling that it is stifling my creativity right now and I am in dire need of a new project that, perhaps inspired from others, is my own creation!

I borrowed these books from our guild library for some ideas but I have some of my own brewing...

looking for inspiration


Whatever I end up creating, I am just happy to be able to create in my own room!!!
SPF #11, 3/12/10: Sitting in my 'haven'
(this photo was taken for my weekly self portrait challenge!)

Have a good week ...whatever you cook up!!!!

9 comments:

  1. I'm with you -- I like doing my own thing. but sometimes, mindlessly sewing bits of fabric together in a coherent pattern also works. I like what you did with the HH blocks -- you are working in a series! great fabrics too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said lisa! I am sitting here avoiding making lunches for school, looking at another week of work when i would much rather be home sewing and playing with fabric.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow; THAT is a hum drum week? Gracious...
    Love the quilt; I did the Picture This quilt in the Happy Hour book, too! I think it is just a fabulous pattern for beautiful fabrics that don't need to be cut up into small pieces, but rather their beauty can be left intact in larger pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like it was a good week to me - a little time to just play around with designs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the happy hour quilt.. mine is in teal and brown and hanging in my dinning room along with placemats and table runner to match.
    I agree though... sometimes I just want to create something all my own. I did do my own little clutch bag this weekend but I'd like to have the time to create some real art someday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know what you mean! I have been taking the "easy route" and have been making quilts from other people's patterns lately - it's just as much work, and choosing your own fabrics makes it your own so it's a bit unfair to call it easy, but sometimes I get the urge to be more creative. I find that taking time out to make some letter-sized quilts can be a good way of trying out new ideas and recharge the batteries - hm, I think I need to do that soon! I need some playtime with Jean Wells' latest book, I think...

    Love the colours of your new quilt, by the way! And the row for Kim's quilt looks like great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That picture of you is so cute. It really is darling and I love you in your project room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great to do some simple (though very lovely) pieces. I think it keeps you busy while it gives your mind time to wander off to and dream of future projects.

    ReplyDelete