Monday, October 12, 2009

Oh! Ssss....Crap!

Lots going on these days at the U household so I haven't been posting as much as I am accustomed to.

Welcome to any new readers who may have found their way here from SewMamaSew! A few weeks back I was contacted by Beth at SewMamaSew asking me if they could feature my "I love to Make Houses" Quilt

TADA!

in their upcoming Scrap Buster Month on the blog. Of course, I said, "Yes!" Pretty cool!

Unfortunately, things have been all but cool in my sewing room lately (except for the temperature in the morning before I turn on the lights which tend to heat the room up!)

But I am trying to keep this blog rated "family" so I will keep the four letter words to a minimum.

I worked a bit on my Dear Jane blocks which I am happy to report now number 49!!!!

This block, J1 "Josepha's Jonquil" was reverse appliqued, and my points are improving...

J1 Josepha's Jonquil

but this block, A10 'Which Points West?" was a real bugger and I am so unhappy with its outcome!!! I suppose the name of this block suits it but I am not sure where the points are pointing!!!!

A10 Which Points West?

The logs are lopsided and the triangles are not very neatly curved near the center. Oh! Ssss....CRAP!!!

Someday, when I am feeling strong again, I will re-attempt this block.....and so, I decided it was time to put aside my Dear Jane project.

I have been in the mood to make some clothing lately and so I dusted off Jenny, my Janome serger. I gave her some oil too!

Jenny the Janome (serger)

And then I thought I would practice... and that is when things went bad!!! My upper looper thread kept breaking, my fabric was all bunched up, my left top thread wasn't sewing properly....

I tried rethreading the machine...

the challenges of threading a serger...

many times!

I adjusted the four tension discs...

ACK! can you feel the tension!?

and then, I walked away! Oh ssss.... CRAP!!!

Time to move on to something else..............and so, I went over to my scrap boxes...

Boxes of scraps

and it seems that with all my summer sewing projects, I have accumulated even more scraps!!!!

My scraps have runneth over

I got out my freezer paper paper piecing pattern for my scrappy log cabins...

scrappy log cabin template for freezer paper paper-piecing

and I easily....

IMG_5179

whipped up....

IMG_5178

five....

IMG_5177

scrappy....

IMG_5176

log cabins blocks...

IMG_5174

If I have counted correctly, I now have 94 scrappy log cabin blocks!!!

94 blocks so far!

I still have many more to make since I plan to piece them into a king-sized quilt.

collage of my scrappy log cabins

I am thinking that I will put white sashing between the 6" finished blocks but according to my calculations, there are still a lot more log cabin blocks in my future! Oh! Sssss....CRAP!

Finally, it is really fall here in upstate NY and I can no longer deny it!

On the way home from the gym (and some errands too... since it is a sleep-in day for the kids!), the car told me that it was below freezing!

chilly morning

Time to put away my flip flops!!! Oh! Ssss...CRAP!!!

The house had the first-heat-on-in-the-house-for-the-season smell this morning.

But fall does bring some wonderful color to this area!

frosty fall leaves
Sugarbaby's versatile jack-o-lanternFall color

Trying to stay warm and out of ssss...CRAPsss way,

Yup, that's me!

7 comments:

  1. Too funny! You had me giggling. sCRAP, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey......I said sssssssCRAP with my bad-luck in recent months with my not-a-year-old Janome sewing machine. I hope you are not falling victim to the "Janome-bad-machine" curse!!! I LOVE the hillside photo in this post.....GREAT color there!!! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh-oh. It looks like your "s" key is sssticking! LOL pokey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lisa, you had me cracking up !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl, you are too funny! Let me ask you, does your husband call your work space the CRAPROOM, like mine does? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. It doesn't matter if you use sCRAP or not. It doesn't matter what you do, your work is really awesome and perfect. That is what first drew me to your blog. Love the houses. It is no wonder Sew Mama Sew wanted you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey come to your site via the DLN quilt along and was reading your sCRAP and had a little chuckle - I had a sCRAP sewing weekend sewing machine trouble, quilts tops not behaving and, well the list goes on. Love your quilt header and i love the bright sCRAP you have on your blog! Keep up the sCRAP work I love it!

    ReplyDelete