Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Run-of-the-Mill Fall Day and a Fall Quilt Festival

Ho hum... it was a wet, rainy chilly start to the day!

a reflection of me in the puddle

The kind that makes you want to stay in your pajamas all day and read in bed or sew...

But NO!

My day started at 4 AM, per usual, so I could wake up slowly and have coffee before I headed off to the gym in the rain. And so there were no pajamas all day, no sewing marathons... just a normal run-of-the-mill day!

Anyway, I decided to join the fun at Amy's Blogger's Quilt Festival.

It was hard to pick just one favorite quilt but I decided on this one, my "Hexagons in Hawaii."


Hexagons in Hawaii

This quilt was made two winters ago using Maxine Rosenthal's One Block Wonder and several yards of Elvis' Blue Hawaii fabric.

I don't own this quilt. It was auctioned off (for $1700!) in late January, 2008, at a gala to benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Many of you know that this organization is near and dear to my heart since my youngest child, Sugarbaby, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on Thanksgiving Day 2005 at the age of 6 1/2 years old.

The reason that I like this quilt so much is not because of its price tag (okay... well I do have to admit that it did have my head swelling for a day or two) but I just think it looks cool! I was really proud of the way it turned out.

I am not an Elvis fan but the theme of that year's gala was Hollywood and something about this fabric just struck me. Its creation took lots (and lots) of planning, rearranging, and mixing and matching hexagons. I really like the way the triangles spin off the border creating movement all over.

So there you have it... my favorite quilt (or at least one of my favorites).

Hop on over to Amy's blog to join the fun!

And I remain, the ever run-of-the-mill...

Yup, that's me!

PS My 300th post is coming up soon.. stay tuned!

28 comments:

  1. Beautiful Quilt. It makes me think of Coral Reefs. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you win the most unusual use of Elvis award in this quilt show. Very fun! btw, I still can't wrap my head around a 4 a.m. awakening to get to the gym. I feel good if I get to the gym by 8:30!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous quilt! I love the colors, the fabric, the movement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that quilt and how proud of you ALL of us were when it made good money for the cause!!! Good choice to put in "the festival".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried a one block wonder. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is really cool, Lisa. And how thrilling that it went for so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very fun! I would have a big fat head too. Not that I'm saying your head is big or fat. Oh, you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilt is stunning. And how great that it went for so much for a great cause. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love how this pattern changes the fabric! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice quilt - I was trying to figure out what the fabric was and then I saw Elvis. I still haven't made a one block wonder but it is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a fantastic quilt. I have one in the design stage, I am still trying to find the best layout, I had the most ugly piece of fabric and now it will hopefully look as wonderful as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I've got a bolt of fabric I bought just for a one block wonder quilt. Now you've gone and done it, you've made me get the urge to get going on that. Absolutely loved the quilt and that it has Elvis on it didn't hurt either! $1700! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great quilt. Very nice colors & fabric selection. You did a fantastic job! Really creative use of fabrics for this design. And I do love Elvis. Congratulations!

    Thanks for sharing and for participating in the Bloggers Quilt Festival.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your pretty quilt - that is a serious fundraiser!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is an amazing quilt! And it's worth every penny it raised!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun and frivolous quilt! I love your falling-off-the-edge bits. You must be so proud of yourself, it came out great AND landed a huge sum for your favorite cause!

    ReplyDelete
  17. From another upstate girl - I love the quilt and love the story. The unexpected deconstruction of the stars is just an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! This is gorgeous! I think it's the perfect winter quilt

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous quilt.
    Long live the king!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fantastic quilt - I love the way some of the blocks spin into the border.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The quilt is stunning. I can see why it went for so much $. It is really a work of art. Beautiful. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very cool! I've been wanting to make a one block wonder for awhile now, and I've even bought the fabric. But I need to get down to the aligning step. That's the one I hesitate at! Very nice work--I love the pieces in the border. It's a really nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun quilt!!! Congratulations on raising such a big amount at the auction. I can see why everyone loved it. Great pattern....beautiful fabrics...cool theme. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your quilt! It really deserved the bid that it received since it is so beautiful!

    Here's hoping the money will help find a cure for juvenile diabetes!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a bright and cherry quilt for a rainy day! Your placement is incredible. It definitely is worth all the money it received.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is beautiful! How wonderful tht you got such a good price for it after donating it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing quilt! LOVE how you broke the borders. : ) How wonderful of you to donate it for auction and look how much it made!?! WAY to go. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete