Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Run-of-the-Mill Fall Day and a Fall Quilt Festival

Ho hum... it was a wet, rainy chilly start to the day!

a reflection of me in the puddle

The kind that makes you want to stay in your pajamas all day and read in bed or sew...

But NO!

My day started at 4 AM, per usual, so I could wake up slowly and have coffee before I headed off to the gym in the rain. And so there were no pajamas all day, no sewing marathons... just a normal run-of-the-mill day!

Anyway, I decided to join the fun at Amy's Blogger's Quilt Festival.

It was hard to pick just one favorite quilt but I decided on this one, my "Hexagons in Hawaii."


Hexagons in Hawaii

This quilt was made two winters ago using Maxine Rosenthal's One Block Wonder and several yards of Elvis' Blue Hawaii fabric.

I don't own this quilt. It was auctioned off (for $1700!) in late January, 2008, at a gala to benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Many of you know that this organization is near and dear to my heart since my youngest child, Sugarbaby, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on Thanksgiving Day 2005 at the age of 6 1/2 years old.

The reason that I like this quilt so much is not because of its price tag (okay... well I do have to admit that it did have my head swelling for a day or two) but I just think it looks cool! I was really proud of the way it turned out.

I am not an Elvis fan but the theme of that year's gala was Hollywood and something about this fabric just struck me. Its creation took lots (and lots) of planning, rearranging, and mixing and matching hexagons. I really like the way the triangles spin off the border creating movement all over.

So there you have it... my favorite quilt (or at least one of my favorites).

Hop on over to Amy's blog to join the fun!

And I remain, the ever run-of-the-mill...

Yup, that's me!

PS My 300th post is coming up soon.. stay tuned!