Saturday, October 3, 2009

Aliens and Age Thwarted... for now, anyway!

thwart (thwôrt)
tr.v. thwart•ed, thwart•ing, thwarts
1. To prevent the occurrence, realization, or attainment of: They thwarted her plans.
2. To oppose and defeat the efforts, plans, or ambitions of.


I am trying my darndest to oppose the evils of aliens and age!

Firstly, I am attempting to finish off some UFO's (otherwise known as UnFinished Objects!) that those extraterrestrials may have left behind.

Last week, I finished the scrap quilt which I posted all ready....

my scrap quilt

I figured I was on the right path to getting some more UFO's out of my sewing room so I pulled down a project that began in 2004 or 2005 (Yikes! is that how long I have had them?!) with a swap on a Pat Sloan Yahoo Group... pink and brown nine patches.

pink and brown quilt

I even pieced them together within the year of receiving the blocks and sandwiched them! I started quilting the project at a quilt retreat 2 years ago but never finished.


But when I pulled the project off my sewing room shelf last week, I was really not pleased with the quilting so, I ripped it out and started all over again.

This time, I made up my own overall swirly type quilting pattern...

close up of the quilting on pink and brown quilt

and now, another UFO is done!!!!

Pink and Brown Quilt

Take that (or is it ZAP?!), you aliens!!!!!

Believe it or not, I also found some time to work on my Dear Jane blocks (I now have 44 done)!

B7 World Series

I am trying to find some blocks that have an element of hand work (applique but not the piecing)
E5 Rising Sun

so I can keep my hands busy when I am sitting around...

A7 Dad's Plaid

Which leads me to the other evil.... AGE!!!!

Around the time of my last birthday, I began to experience some signs of aging.... like some hot flashes (which I haven't had again..... yet!!!), the sudden lack of regularity of my cycle (bimonthly, every second month, ....) and more recently, the ease with which I can add some padding to my midriff. ARGH!

The first two signs I have handled okay.... so far! But the fact that I may be developing a muffin top (aka spare tire) is very, very frustrating and downright upsetting!

So I have decided that I will have to keep my hands busy with various projects and out of my mouth! That means there may be a whole lot more UFO's done in the near future, a few more Dear Jane blocks completed, and probably the start of a new project or two (or three)!


And, I really have to keep my fitness routine going!

Many of you can't imagine the day-to-day routine that I keep. Mr. U and I usually rise about 4 AM and I am out the door by 5 AM (some days are easier than others), headed to the gym about 5x per week (while Mr. U heads out to hike a mountain).

Generally, Tuesday and Thursday is an hour body pump class...


getting ready to Pump!

and the other days, I run on the treadmill and use some of the weight machines..


run

To burn calories, you really have to sweat! and boy, when I run my 4 miles (in less than 40 minutes), I sweat! Now if I can only thwart the consumption of those carbs I love, I will be all set!!!!

Getting up that early also allows me some time to myself (before the kids are up and my day really begins). Some times I sew or read or e-mail and I always have a cup of coffee!

I'll keep you posted! I will need a lot of willpower! Maybe those aliens ("take me to your leader") have some ideas!

Until then,


Yup, that's me!

PS.... I think this is my 296th post (yes, I do have the gift of gab) so I am thinking we are due for a giveaway in one of the next few posts!

12 comments:

  1. Okay, do you really think it's a muffin top you've sported from these supposed carbs you eat, or it is more likely loose flesh waving about from your (over)active lifestyle?
    Congrats on those UFOs. I enjoy starting new projects. The UFO's can burn in $*&%! Someone once said, "I didn't finish them because I didn't like them then; why would I like them any better now?", or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love the scrap quilt...but then I love all your work.

    Okay, Miss Muffin...although noone would ever suspect an extra ounce on that lean body, if it's there, you are in good company..(mine?!) Don't fret over the changes too much! See you later??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love both the quilts you showed and your Dear Jane blocks, too. I need to curb the carbs, too. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. The scrap quilt is fabulous Lisa, love the colors.
    And dear Jane-do I recognize one of those fabrics?
    And lastly. I have had the love/hate relationship with aging too. I could do without the cycles-no problem there. The hot flashes have not been my favorite. And my body parts retiring South before I do is just down right upsetting. I am learning to cope though. It is called finding the right apparatus.
    I am shopping for a suspension bridge for my backside in case the excise fails!!!!!
    So much for aging gracefully.
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  5. How early do you go to bed ? Are you a person who can survive on only a few hours sleep ??? I think if I got up at 4 am I would be in bed at 7pm............. Love your routine though !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel downright lazy! LOL....I only head out the door at 6.45am for the gym...it would be earlier but they don't open until 7am....the joys of living in a small community...I have been learning to live with the changes for a while now....it creeps up on you.....and suddenly you look in the mirror and there is an older person looking back..LOL....but I am still young on the inside (and thin!) - good luck with the UFOs - I have been trying to get rid of some of mine ... and if I don't like them - out they go....I am not wasting time on something I don't like...see I am getting old and grumpy..I will give them away though just in case someone else can make use of them....! Have a great week thwarting the aliens and the ageing....!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, How do you keep up your energy to get up a 4 to go the gym? I have gotten fat and lazy so you have inspired me to get off my duff and get moving! I just keep thinking if I have a hard time doing things now with being so out of shape, what am I going to be like in 10 or 20 years if I don't start working out? I don't want to have someone else tie my shoes for me because I can't bend over around my gut to reach my feet!

    Great job on the UFO's! I have a few of those in my closet too! I have a log cabin quilt I pieced in the late 70's early 80's (I don't remember it has been so long!)that I started hand quilting and its not done. Of course, I have not worked on it for probably 15 years! That's the oldest UFO I have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your ten minute miles kill me! Well, they probably kill you to - in a good way. Love that you're doing your UFO's (and I love them, too) - and if it keeps you from the cookie jar, maybe I need to try that too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on finishing up all of these UFOs!

    Love the pink and brown nine patch quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats on the finishes...i need to get into my ufo closet (it's scary in there)! i'm experiencing those 'age' things too...i started running again last week...i'm doing ok...not great though, but this is a new day, a new week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. how can you have a muffin with all that exercise -- up at 4am !!! What time do you go to bed?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a set of the pink and brown ninepatches from that same swap. I like how you set them. I think I will look for them and add them to my to do list.

    ReplyDelete