Monday, January 26, 2009

Cabin Fever



Cabin Fever
n. Boredom, restlessness, or irritability that results from a lack of environmental stimulation, as from a prolonged stay in a remote, sparsely populated region or a confined indoor area.


That may be but....

it is another COLD, COLD day in Upstate New York!!! It might not be a bad idea to stay inside!

This is almost balmy...
compared to what it was when I headed to the gym at 5 AM (0 degrees Fahrenheit which equals -17 Celsius!).

All of you tropical dwellers may not know of a very important feature in one's car during these harsh winter months....... the seat warmer!!!! which was set at 5 (the highest!) on my most recent travels to keep my delicate derriere warm while I drive! Gotta have one!

So I am staying out of the elements, in my warm 'cabin', which can cause cabin fever of another kind!!!

Now that I have time to play in my sewing room, I am having fun!!!

I am in an international group of 8 quilters and each month one quilter gets two 15 1/2" (unfinished size) blocks of her choice made and sent to her by the other seven quilters.

Katy wanted I spy type wonky log cabin blocks...
and if you know me at all, I love wonky and I love log cabins!!!!! I also completed my 12 1/2" (unfinished) charity quilt block for Jacquie's Project Improv...
(and why change a good thing when you have it started? so another wonky log cabin was made!!!)

On a roll.... I made nine more freezer paper paper-pieced scrappy log cabins for my challenge project...
More log cabins!
for a total of 69 blocks!!!! Aiming for 100 or so!!!

And to keep any other fevers away and to just warm the soul, a crockpot of minestrone soup is cooking....
to be savored along with homemade baguettes!
Stay warm out there!!!!




A couple of postscripts....I had a good time at the JDRF Gala on Saturday night though my strapless bra was almost at my waist (time to buy a new one that fits properly!) when I finally was able to change! (I brought my pajamas with me and made a quick change in the ritzy 'powder room' before heading home, knowing that it would be frigid on the way home at midnight!)

and..... my 'Aloha' quilt raised $500 for the ongoing efforts to find a cure for diabetes! The couple who bought my quilt had just spent a ton of money (yikes!) on two sets of tickets to watch the Yankees play at the Green Monster and also have a son with type 1 diabetes, so I felt honored! The gala raised about $200,000!!!!

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE that red and aqua wonky block. Just delicious. And congrats on the quilt going for $500! That is wonderful. Love the bra story too. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five hundred dollars! Way to go! How special is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Five hundred dollars! Way to go! How special is that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO happy for that couple to get the quilt and glad it raised $500!!!

    TOO funny about your strapless dress playing such tricks on you. If it was me, there is no way it would have slipped down over MY blubbery body. Guess that serves you right for going to the gym so much!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats on the $500. its nice when people recognize the value of a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. $500 is an awesome amount of money to have raised all by yourself Lisa. Congratulations and please try to enjoy doing something for yourself now! I don't know who invented the strapless bra, but it's good to know someone else besides me can't keep their 'girls' undercover either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done with the quilt auction - i was wondering how you got on!! $500 is an awesome achievement - and what a great cause. Love your project improv block - red and aqua are my favourite colours at the moment. Stay warm - we'll try and send some heat your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those wonky log cabins are gorgeous -- that's a block I have yet to try, but it's been calling for awhile now. Crank up the butt-warmer for me -- mine's currently broken and I miss it. It's not that expensive to get it fixed -- just haven't gotten around to it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am jealous! My car does not have heated seats (my next one will). It's cold here in Syracuse, too - when will it stop! At least the kids (and my DH) have a snow day today.
    I am doing the scrappy long cabin challenge, too. Your blocks seem more cohesive then mine. I am using up all my scraps and not looking when I dig in to pull out the next fabric. I only have 15 made so far - a long way to go!
    I've given your blog an award...stop by and pick it up! www.itsjustonemore.blogspot.com!
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. $500?! Wow! Thats fantastic! You must be stoked!!!! I'm jealous I didn't get a berth to the group swap blocky thingy. :( A seat warmer????? Now that is something you wouldn't find in our car! LOL

    ReplyDelete