Friday, January 23, 2009

Transformations

After I purchased a fat quarter collection from the Fat Quarter Shop..

and chatted with Hawaiian-dwelling Lisa Boyer online about ideas for a Hawaii-themed quilt (thanks to Lisa for suggesting a quilt with wonky houses a la Hawaii)...

and Tonya's challenge...I began the slow, procrastinated turned feverishly-getting-it-done road...
of making a bunch of free pieced blocks ....



and transforming them from this.....
to this....
and the back pieced together with fabrics from my stash...
(before I tacked down the sleeve and added a couple of labels!)

I did an all over ripple pattern...

to resemble the ocean waters coming to shore...

I did some embellishing with beads...


added some shimmering gold metallic thread leading from the rays of the sun...

and used a multicolor metallic thread to quilt suns around the border...

Here is a close up from the back...

So.... after this baby is delivered to the JDRF office.....
the auction (silent and live) is tomorrow night at the Hawaiian-themed Gala (nothing like finishing in the last moments!)

Guess what I am going to be doing?????

Picking up the pieces...
..... so many of them!!!!
And moving on!!!!!


I will be volunteering at the Gala tomorrow night but I plan to sleep, read, lie on the couch too!!!!

18 comments:

  1. hahah! I always love pictures of your post-creation fall-out.

    It turned out awesome! Now the fun part... watching everyone ooo and ahh over it. :) Good Luck!

    I love your backing too! That's the first time I've seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great quilt! very generous of you to give it away right after finishing it. I hope it makes lots of money for the organization.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Hawaiian quilt turned out just great. Cleaning up after a free-piecing project is always the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo!! Mission accomplished! I like the picture of you holding the quilt! Wonderful job! It's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did it!!! The quilting is divine - soooo perfect for the quilt! Now my favorite part of the post? Seeing you holding a Hawaiian quilt in the snow! I mean, that's some great irony lol!! I am with you on the clean up. My room looks just like it. Sigh - I hate cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...I am always impressed with your creativity and talent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your bright fabrics and the applique hawaiian flower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's spectacular! Be sure to let us know what it went for. Love the aftermath shot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Creativity is messy! You did a great job, that quilt looks fantastic! Hope it gets lots of $$$$!

    P.S. My word verification for this comment it "manic"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your quilt brings in lots of money. You put a lot of work into it and it shows!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE the end-result, Lisa! I wasn't able to get all the photos to enlarge, but what I did see up close was GORGEOUS. You are one VERY talented (and giving) gal. I'm sure people will be very taken with this quilt at the Hawaiian-themed event!!! Let us know how it goes, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Lisa, it turned out just GORGEOUS!!! Fabulous! I just love all your improv piecing--you really captured the mood and the fun. I love it. Congratulations on a supberb creative quilt and I hope it makes a lot of money!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. gorgeous quilting, very very fun quilt-too bad I can't bid on it

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad we got to follow you along your journey to Hawaii! Beautiful, stunning, hope it does well for JDRF!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I absolutely love Hibiscus. Where did you get your hibiscus applique? Beautiful work!!

    Thanks,
    Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! Hope the auction was very successful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that quilt! If this doesn't bring in a lot of money at the auction I don't know what will!

    ReplyDelete
  18. well..I must say this is seriously cute.....that is a fabulous 'palm tree'.....it would be hard to give it away so quickly!

    ReplyDelete