Friday, January 23, 2009

Transformations

After I purchased a fat quarter collection from the Fat Quarter Shop..

and chatted with Hawaiian-dwelling Lisa Boyer online about ideas for a Hawaii-themed quilt (thanks to Lisa for suggesting a quilt with wonky houses a la Hawaii)...

and Tonya's challenge...I began the slow, procrastinated turned feverishly-getting-it-done road...
of making a bunch of free pieced blocks ....



and transforming them from this.....
to this....
and the back pieced together with fabrics from my stash...
(before I tacked down the sleeve and added a couple of labels!)

I did an all over ripple pattern...

to resemble the ocean waters coming to shore...

I did some embellishing with beads...


added some shimmering gold metallic thread leading from the rays of the sun...

and used a multicolor metallic thread to quilt suns around the border...

Here is a close up from the back...

So.... after this baby is delivered to the JDRF office.....
the auction (silent and live) is tomorrow night at the Hawaiian-themed Gala (nothing like finishing in the last moments!)

Guess what I am going to be doing?????

Picking up the pieces...
..... so many of them!!!!
And moving on!!!!!


I will be volunteering at the Gala tomorrow night but I plan to sleep, read, lie on the couch too!!!!