Friday, September 12, 2008

Idiom or Idiot... you decide!

I have always liked playing with words! Maybe that is why I studied linguistics, a couple of foreign languages, and speech and language disorders.

idiom
Noun
1. a group of words which, when used together, have a different meaning from the one suggested by the individual words, eg it was raining cats and dogs

This book which I borrowed through interlibrary loan from our public library....
with all its wonderful stories...

and photos...

is the 'apple of my eye'.

(We went apple picking yesterday).


You know what 'gets my goat'?!"



(cute, huh?)

(Don't get pushy!!!)


That replacement metal bobbin cases cost $75!!!!!!!


but 'it goes without saying' , it is a necessity!!!!

Yup.... Bernie is back again!!!

and I won't even have to 'lift a finger'!!!!
'cuz the knee lift is working again (one of the greatest sewing machine inventions of all times!!!)

I think if I have to stay in and read this tome all weekend....

I might end up with 'cabin fever'!
(The latest edition to my series of houses on linen. This is where I want to live some day!)

And, ya know what?! I don't 'give a hoot'!
Life is short, eat dessert first!!!!

(My first apple pie- dutch apple- of the season) I'll worry about the calories later!
Have you had enough of me yet?!!!!
'Thank goodness it's Friday'! Have a good weekend!!!

9 comments:

  1. Have I told you how much I am loving your series of houses. I'd love to do something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your houses! A pie made with Dutch apples? Must be delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definately idiom ;-) Interesting studies. That must have been both fun and challenging!

    Mmmmm. Apple pie!
    And your houses are just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVING your post today (well...love all of them). I used to teach ESL to adults and explaining the idioms was such a fun time with them!!! Thanks for some great photos and a few chuckles. Enjoy having Bernie back, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post! :)
    So pleased to see you have your girl back!!!!! Yummy apple pie!!! But we have just had the first mangoes of the season so for me that beats apple pie every time!
    Do you have any family in Houston? Sid has a few ... alot of South Africans went that way ... weather is so humbling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa! I am LOVING those linen house! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love that book too...so inspirational. your houses are so cute...are they all going together or each separate?

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the pie...next i love your house that is totally awesome...your doing great:) glad you got bernie back...
    Polly

    ReplyDelete
  9. so then what is a metaphor, and a simalie? i am liking that house too

    ReplyDelete