Monday, August 11, 2008

From Road Trip to Reality (or how I feasted with the family)...

So, Sloppy, Marvin and I have returned from our little vacation to visit family, north of the border, in Ottawa. Our laundry bags and our tummies returned plenty full!!!

The drive through the Adirondack Mountains to the border is wonderful....

Firstly, along the Hudson River (which is much more narrow in the mountains than it is near New York City)...
and then, we begin to go up in elevation....
spotting mountains in the distance...
going higher....
until these spectacular views appear....
the beach at Long Lake....
breathtaking....
one spot seems more beautiful then the next...But after we cross over the bridge (and border)...
at the St. Lawrence Seaway...... all you see is scrappy trees and brush for the next 45 minutes!

We darted around town ... Museum of Natural History, shopping, movie for the girls (saw Mamma Mia), golfing for the boys, swimming...



1. Museum of Natural History, newly renovated! 2. kids at Museum of Natural History, 3. Museum of Natural History, 4. Museum of Natural History, 5. a quilt shop in Ottawa, but I didn't buy any fabric!!!!6. Lisa Ave, must be named after me! 7. Lee Valley, my high school friend's dad started this company in a garage and it is now an international mail order tool company which my friend now heads 8. house on Badger Cres, the first house I ever lived in. 9. parking for Hybrid cars at Ikea like my sister's.

But every event was sandwiched between meals!!!!!

This salad that my sister made was about the healthiest, low cal food served the entire weekend!!!!
Let's go to the museum... and then we will take you out for these great blueberry pancakes!!!

Let's go shopping.. and then we will have this huge dinner at Mom and Dad's!!!

Let's go see a movie... but first, let's go grab some lunch!!!
How about getting together for breakfast before you leave town?!

Next year, I think I will vacation with Joanna's husband!!!!! He lost 25 lbs!!!!!

We did have fun but visiting family (mine, anyways) can be exhausting!!!!


This is the view of the big city....
from my parents' dining room window (using a bit of zoom)...

fireworks displays included....
My folks have just returned from a cruise on the Baltic Sea and they picked up these nesting dolls for themselves....
and some for Sloppy....
I received a beautiful amber bracelet but no dolls :-(

I only did a little damage at the stores in Ottawa....

Looks like a purse....
but it is actually an insulated lunch bag!!! (just in case I get hungry again)
And I bought a package (okay ... 4 packages) of my fave Crunchie chocolate bars...
and one magazine....
because I spotted black/white and dots....
In between meals and driving around town, I made some yoyos.

When I returned home, I had some mail waiting for me, including a book that I won on eBay for 0.99 plus postage...

and the most wonderful mini quilt from Helen......
along with some goodies from Australia (including a little chocolate).
I have all ready been to the gym today for a Body Pump class and now I will head to the laundry room to finish up that task!!!


Have a good week!!!!

11 comments:

  1. That's a great book. I borrowed that from my library recenyly and got two late fines for it b/c it was just too good to give back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had alot of fun, love those nesting dolls, you'll have to have your parents get you a set next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photos from your vacation are fantastic. Isn't eating part of vacationing ;)?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are sooo funny! Got such a shock to see my name, and I must tell hubby is is famous lol! He's been keeping it up too, losing more and more. Unlike I, who came back a few pounds heavier because like you, we ate out almost every meal lol!

    And you have got to be kidding me - Crunchie Bars???? I am SOOOOO jealous!!! When I am desperate I make my own. They are yummy, but nothing beats the original! Actually anything by Cadbury brings me to my knees :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow lisa what a post! Yo yos, insulated bag, good salad. All fab. I've been on that road in the pictures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm tired reading all of that...looks like a fab time was had by all! enjoy the modern quilt workshop...i'll be interested to hear what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a good time! That salad looks fantastic! I have a friend who sits with the kids sometimes who is going home to NY next Saturday and she is frightened about what she is going to be eating on her holiday! :) She is built like a stick insect though ... Nature Boy would love her! Very cute little quilt. Is it for the DQS4. I want to know how she does those wonky flying geese. Only 75 days until our holiday ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yahhhh Lisa! Glad the mini arrived safely, it was a great swap with you. Do you guys get Freedo Frogs in the states? Yummmmoooo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! How come visits with family always include sooooomuch food?! I never eat as much as I do when we visit my parents....and then after a week of endless eating, my mom will ask me, if I have gained weight!! LOL! The scenery is beautiful, that must make for a fun drive...
    That quilt with the b&w dots looks wonderful! And....how are you liking the book?! I like almost all the quilts in there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Lisa,
    Where was that quilt shop .. I live here and don't recognize it. :)

    I don't blame you for not buying fabric up here, it's super expensive. I try to support the local shops when they have sales, but regular prices are hard to swallow.

    It's acutally nice today, we might just have a rain-free day, though I'm not holding my breath .. freak storms have appeared out of nowhere too often.

    Happy quilting!
    Michele

    ReplyDelete