Saturday, June 28, 2008

Summer is just starting swimmingly...

...at least, I think so!


swim·ming·ly
–adverb
without difficulty; with great success; effortlessly: She passed the exam swimmingly.

The weather has gotten warmer and muggy so we headed to the town swimming :-) pool yesterday to cool off and the kids checked out the pond nearby.


Nature Boy and 'Sloppy' enjoy looking for frogs!

Remember the cleaning I did the day school ended???
Yeah well... did I say swimmingly?!
Sloppy Sister stands by her name, I guess. I took this photo this morning! Sigh!

And Messy Marvin (aka Nature Boy) spread his stuff to the outdoors....
He has also taken my old sewing machine and set up shop in his room...to perfect his finger puppets....
And I think they came out just swimmingly!!!

This one is mine...
Before the rain arrives, Marvin cut the grass in front...while this guy gave it a try in the backyard...


not sure if his mowing will end swimmingly..... we have a good size backyard!

So, here is the bag that I showed you the other day. The one owned by Teenager with lots of stuff.

I said I would make a similar bag to replace the aging tote above.
Front...

back...
and inside...
Looks great, huh?

Well, let me tell you......all is not well. Things did not go swimmingly at the end.


I sewed the lining and outside bag together right sides together and turned the lining inside out at the 'hole' I left in the seam. I sewed the edge much like I had sewed the rest of the bag...
but I can't get it right!!!!
Look at the stitching!!!! What am I doing wrong?!!!!! I have changed needles (more than once...jeans/microtex/universal), thread (Aurifil versus Coats), presser feet (walking foot versus 1/4" foot versus regular zigzag foot), and rethread the #@$#$ machine several times and the result is much the same. Help!!!

So, I have moved on to my next project... the 6"-12" mini quilt trading swap.

Sneak peek...
I am using Easy Bias Curves by Wendy Hill.
So far, so good. Phew!

Hope your weekend goes swimmingly! :=)

ADDENDUM: Okay, wasn't I just saying things were going swimmingly?!!!!!!
Why don't I read the directions thoroughly and correctly the first time?!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is supposed to look like this....

not like this....sigh.... maybe summer isn't starting out so swimmingly after all (big sigh).

11 comments:

  1. i like your version better! really! And those puppets - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummmm...well, I'm with Sarah...and you know, that so called mess up can always come and live in my house and be very very welcome ;)

    What is it with messy girls? Mine is just the same...it's horrible, I don't know how she can live like that (now I can hear my mother saying the same to me as a kid!)
    EXCELLENT finger puppets - well done nature boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so you came up with a new block!!! thats what you meant to do, right??!! wow some start to summer for you. i have your daughters twin i fear. oh so messy!
    i think thats awesome that your boy commandeered your old machine, woohoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Just love that new flower block ;-) What a great teenagerery looking bag. It looks like you are having tension problems with your bobbin. From my experience it will turn out fine later or maybe reroll your bobbin. Nature boy is an excellent worker, isn't he?!!! Cherrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey you made up a new block looks good. Plus know one would know if you didn't tell. Try putting tension down to zero with all the thread out. Then put tension back to where it should be re-thread machine insert bobbin and hope for the best. It worked when I had that problem. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bag for your daughter does look swimmingly, I love the puppets. I need those for my class. Please have your son share the pattern.
    And if you would not have shown the picture of the pattern, it looked swimmingly too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am sure things can only get better from here! :) Still looks like you guys are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those finger puppets are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even if it isn't like the book, I still think the quilt looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the fingerpuppets too. What a talented guy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've got two sloppy sisters and their rooms always look like this! I can never understand why it's so hard to put dirty clothes in a hamper rather than throwing it on the floor! My poor mother!

    ReplyDelete