Sunday, March 16, 2008

Seeing Stars

My sister and family came to visit from my hometown (or as my husband calls it, 'the old country'). One of the reasons they came was to help me (or rather encourage me) to finish the green quilt that my sister had started many moons ago. Sis did the blocks from Yellow Brick Road but she needed me to quilt the baby. I thought that adding a border of black would help bring it together. So, I had that done and sandwiched ready for pinning before they arrived.

While I pinned Friday night and quilted ALL day Saturday, my sister kept me company. (The kids all went bowling with the dads). I decided that I would meander quilt with stars and it seemed to take forever (about 8 hours)!!!

This is what the back looked like.
I went to bed around 12:45 AM last night (remember I like to go to bed early??) and was back in the sewing room at 6:30 AM this morning (yup, I get up early). The final stitches of the binding were sewn around 10:30 AM.

This is the front...
and the back....
The quilt was quickly packed up and they headed back home. Boy, am I beat!!!!

Yesterday, my sister and I ran to one of our local quilt shops under the guise of needing additional black fabric for the binding (well, I did!). The shop was having a sale and, of course, I came away with some extras.

These cute fat quarters from Amy Schimler's newest collection.

I have a fat quarter of this green and it is almost gone. Both the green and the red were on sale, so I got more.
Our Sunday night group meets tonight and we always give our birthday girl a half yard of fabric of their choice. She wanted olive green or fabric with mirrors on it (I didn't have time to go to the shop which sells that).
And I grabbed a fat quarter of this. I think it looks pretty funky and would look great in one of my scrap quilts.
My maternal aunt recently moved to Toronto from Saskatoon. She had some items of my grandparents that she sent to my sister for us to divide. She sent a big box of Little Blue Books that had belonged to my grandfather. A lot of interesting titles from 'The Nature of Dreams' to 'King Henry VIII' to 'Buddhism'.
My grandfather, Max, emigrated from Russia in the early 1900s, when one or more of his older brothers had enough money to send back home to their youngest brother so that he could travel to Canada. He was not well educated and my aunt told us that Max (and his brothers) would purchase these Little Blue Books which they could stick in their pockets to take with them to work and read to further their education.

I took this photo of a photo (sorry about the glare but I can't take it out of the frame) of my grandather, Max. I believe he was about 19 years old at the time. Perhaps just before or after he emigrated to Canada.
This is Max many years later with my sister (on the right) and myself (on the left) at my aunt's home.

Hey! Guess what?!!!! This is my 50th post!!!! In celebration of my blogging learning curve, I will have a giveaway!!! Leave me a comment, and I will have a drawing later this week!!!
Now I need some sleep!!!

15 comments:

  1. Hope you get a nap in before tonight. I love the fabric you bought too. How cool it is of you to get those things what awesome keepsakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a wonderful job on the quilt. I love that pattern and return to it time and again for baby quilts.
    Now about the fabric with mirrors?? Did she want real mirrors on the fabric? like printed mirrors? or really real mirrors like glass mirrors??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your 50th post!! I'm hanging out until my 100th for a giveaway - only because it didn't register with my mind when I did my 50th post lol! I have had great fun reading your posts and have been subscribed to your blog for a wee while now. And just to be completely random, I just noticed that you are an lacto-ovo vegetarian. I'm not, but my hubby is! I guess I almost am, since I pretty much cook what he will eat and we all eat it!

    Keep up the great work - your posts are always good to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow.... great work. I love those little stars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic free quilting! I love the stars. Makes me want to practice some more.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you quilted the YBR. What kind of machine are you quilting on? I took a class on a long arm and was able to do that pattern free hand but can't manage it on my home machine. In any case, love your blog ~ can't wait for the next 50.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt looks great on Ben's bed. Of course, it is so big that it is more like a bedspread than a quilt. Thank you for all of your help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt is great, so cheery! Congrats on your blogging, keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa :) Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm from Buffalo area (Cheektowaga). Whereabouts r u? HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That quilt is gorgeous!!! I love it! :) Congrats on making it to 50 posts! Isn't it addicting? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, Hi. I found my way here through Niki's blog. I'm a fairly new blogger myself. WTG on 50! Those fabrics you got are lovely. Especially the owls and drawn flowers. It is so much fun quilting and crafting with family. I have a trip planned next month to my parents and my mom and I are putting together 2 quilts. I cant wait. I loved reading through your blog. Keep it up! Love Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your 50th post! I found your blog through Niki.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm in! Congrats on your 50th. Love the little star quilting--nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pls put me in the draw, congrats on your 50th post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A bedspread or counterpane, especially a thick one, a decorative design, as for wallpaper, china, or textile fabrics, etc. nice ...

    ReplyDelete