Wednesday, March 5, 2014

How to stay sane in the long, cold, and snowy winters of upstate NY

For some reason, 
when my ancestors arrived in Canada and the USA
in the early 1900s

 (my maternal grandfather on the far right,
 from a town in Russia, now in Belarus)


they chose to live in climates similar to the ones they grew up in...

(my paternal grandmother on the far right, born in NYC, 
her parents from a city which is now in Belarus)

And for some reason, 
Mr. U and I chose to perpetuate that absurd decision!!!



Yes, it is still winter in upstate NY ...


much to my chagrin....


It is getting very old!


It has been long, cold, and snowy!



Mr. U tells me that he thinks that our last cold snap is about to be over for the season.
I hope he is right.

Not being much of cold weather gal,
I have been hunkering down inside
(anything to maintain my sanity!)


Luckily, there are a lot of birds in upstate NY


who enjoy being here in the cold
(what is up with that?!)



and so I watch them on Nature Boy's homemade bird feeder


right by our kitchen table


and I take lots of photos. 

There is even a lunchroom bully!


and lately,



some non-birds!!



When I am not sitting at the kitchen table...


I am at the gym before the sun rises

(so my muscles don't atrophy from being inside so much)

....spending endless hours on the telephone
with our newest health insurance plan
trying to secure much-needed diabetic supplies for Sugarbaby...


(my recommendation: write a letter about your dissatisfaction to the CEO,
that seems to get things going... with a direct line to their executive office
that I can now use anytime I have problems! but I suspect those have now been ironed out!)

knitting!!!

socks for me!

socks for Mr. U!

and a wrap for me!

trying to stay caught up with Life Book 2014...


but for kicks, 
and always in search of the ultimate journal/diary project...

(and in an effort to make yet another huge mess in my studio)


I added another project!!!




which I need to catch up on!

I have also been sewing
but that project is ...


sorry!

So like those hibernating bears...
I will emerge when Spring comes!

12 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    Spring is almost here! Hang in there!
    I loved those pictures of your relatives. Some day my kids will talk about how my husband and I moved to this cold country :) Birds are such constant source of entertainment. I love watching them flutter around in our yard. Knitting must be so good at times like these. I decided spring is here, a week at the most? I am interested in your secret project. Can't wait for a reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful post! Love the photos of your relatives! Also; your photos of the birds. I do think we might be turning the corner for milder temps. I, for one, love winter and don't mind the cold BUT…..I have to admit I'm sick of it this year. The weather has been relentless.

    This weekend might hit 40! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, i hope spring is coming for you! Can't wait to see that secret project ;-) Saw you were watching Julie Balzer's series on spreecast. I have been enjoying it too, but the replay, 'cos I don't like being awake at 2.30 in the morning lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so good to keep busy and winter is the perfect time to hunker down and get some projects completed. Your projects look like fun.
    I will be glad when it is over!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so definitely still winter for you! I love the flash of cardinals - lucky you for having them right outside your window to watch. Looks like you have been keeping busy with lots of fun and wonderful projects. Fingers crossed that spring is on its way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! That really is wintery isn't it? and those colour birdies to watch can keep you busy for a while...can't wait to see what you're creating under that "top Secret" folder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have not had as much snow as you, but it has been cold, cold, cold! Yesterday it got up to 38 degrees and it felt like a heat wave. First time above freezing in weeks! Today the sun is shining which helps, but I am ready for spring in a big way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun post, history, humour and art! Hey, on the weather ... just move south .... I'm very happy that I did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I moved south 20 years ago and so glad I did! lol I keep telling my family "you dont have to live like that!!" We have redbud blooming and that is our sure sign that spring is just around the corner.... it will be for you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete