Sunday, January 24, 2010

No use crying over spilled milk...

Four years ago, I decided to make a quilt for the annual JDRF Gala and auction to raise funds for diabetes research. It was a novel idea, so it brought in a lot of money...
JDRF Quilt


The next year I did it again.  I decided to use the theme of the auction (Hollywood) and made another quilt. It, too, raised a lot of money.

Hexagons in Hawaii


Last year, the theme was Hawaii, and I made a quilt of my own creation (no pattern!). Times were getting tough and so it didn't raise as much money but a good chunk and it went to a nice family who also have a child with type 1 diabetes.

Aloha quilt in the snow!


This year's quilt was created on a whim this fall out of my love for black/white and green fabrics. It, too, is my own creation. But, this quilt is now one of four in the auction and so the novelty has worn off... auctioning off quilts has run its course. This quilt did not raise as much money but it went to a nice family... a former preschool teacher of Sugarbaby's and her family.


The quilt is done!

I make these quilts out of love for my baby and my love for quilting and I have no regrets. My work, creating quilts to raise funds to help in the cure for diabetes has even landed me in Vickie Howell's upcoming book collaboration.

But it is time to move on....

I've got projects to start!!!!


house for Sarah, row 10
My row for Sarah as part of our Row 10 group project!

and projects to finish!!!!


One Block Wonder UFO
Once again, another UFO that has been sitting on a shelf screaming, "Finish me!!!"

So, I am back in the sewing room when I have time making a mess!

construction zone


So, have a great week everybody!!!!
Yup, that's me!

Addendum: So now I AM crying!!!!!!


I was minding my own business late this morning, making cookies, and Mr. U walks into the house. He enters the kitchen and I look around to see the quilt!!!!! I was stunned!!!!!


He thought it was too beautiful to be anywhere else but here!!!

It's home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's home!!!!!!!!!

I love my Mr. U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22 comments:

  1. Love those trees! I made a tree quilt for the holidays in black/white/red but it's not wonky. You can see it on my blog. My friend, made one in blue (for Elvis..blue xmas,lol). And we've been pondering wonky churn dashes so I love seeing the first JDRF quilt you made, gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so great what your doing for JDRF, I LOVE your tree quilt! It's on my list of things I'd like to make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your messes wind up becoming the most beautiful quilts! I love that wonky tree quilt, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the quilt you made for this year and wish I could have bid on it. Its a good thing you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't care how much money it made...I still love it. Maybe you need to do an online auction so all of your quilting fans can bid on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad it is home!!! That is where it belongs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice that hubby brought it back home to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome! lovely man, your hubby! and you are pretty special too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog, love your use of color, and I love, love, LOVE your wonky trees! Did you base it on a pattern or just make it up as you went along?

    I, too, have had disappointing returns on some auction quilts that used to bring in a lot more. With people having tighter budgets, I learned that several smaller projects donated to an auction would collectively bring in as much money as one large quilt used to fetch. Just my 2 cents.

    Thanks for such an inspiring blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well I think the trees quilt was stunning, unique and worth a million bucks! I'm so glad it came home to you. WOW! That's amazing!! It's good that you are open to your own agenda now. Feel good to not "have" to refer to a list, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's such a truely wonderful loving thing to do - I think you definitely have a keeper there in Mr U! It's bringing me close to tears to think about it too! So lovely :)

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mr U is my hero, he's right, that quilt is gorgeous and it belongs with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great story! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's easy to understand why mr. U loves you, too! You have a big hart, Lisa! And your foundraiser quilts have all been unique and pretty creations. I'm so glad this one ended up in your home! And I am glad to hear that you're in good company with the upcoming book - sounds very interesting...
    ; )

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so very sweet! I am so happy for you! There are a few of mine out there that I wish I had back! Congrats on the book too!
    xo, kim

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sweet! A wonderful quilt and a fabulous story.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow; so much goodness in this blog entry to comment on! First, your auction quilts are absolutely gorgeous; you are incredible for doing something so wonderful. Second, how touching that Mr. U would bring one back home (sniff); that was just beautiful! Third, congratulations for being mentioned in Vickie Howell's upcoming book!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw Lisa, what a cute story. Good for you! The quilts are all lovely. Everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad your beautiful Quilt ended up where it belonged - very thoughtful of MrU. Enjoy your new projects - I love your photo's of your sewing room mess.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your tree quilt - how sweet of Mr U to bring it home where it belongs.

    ReplyDelete