Wednesday, April 22, 2009

I have been dyeing to try...

Last night, I was perusing some blogs, trying desperately to read through a large accumulation on my reader when I popped by and saw something interesting on Oh Fransson's blog. Hmmmm...

I have been dyeing to play with fabric and dyes but I don't yet have the right supplies! I am hoping to do try my hands at it this summer in the garage, but until then...

But wait, I CAN stop all my other projects for a few minutes to try something else!!!! Right?!!!

So this morning before homeschooling began, I grabbed some fat quarters, cut them into fat eighths....
fabrics before
dropped them into a water and bleach mixture...
fabrics soaking...
and voila!!!

fabrics and their discharged pair
Not earth shattering or even totally amazing but kinda interesting! Kinda fun! Kinda like I have to try it again!
contrasts on original and discharged fabric
I wasn't sure what to expect. Malka did say that some fabrics just discharge better than others and that I should keep track of that (note to self).

Well, back to my regularly scheduled projects until the next whim grabs a hold of me!!!
My very own bus
Upstatelisa

9 comments:

  1. A great whim. I love the subtle differences that show up when the two fabrics are used together like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to step outside of my square and give that a go! It looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey upstate! fun project! I've been seeing many people trying this. let's see what you come up with its a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Neat ideas. And a quick result as well. Not too far of a detour.
    I'm intrigued by the overdying that she did over here:
    http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay. Puns aside, that is really cool. I think my favorite is the block made from the same fabric! Very cool... Must tru...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhhh, interesting Lisa, interesting! Think of the possibilities!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. saw that post too...but you actually did it! i've put it on my list of things to try...someday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fab results. I think the block showcases the effect wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that looks like it was a fun project. i too have wanted to dye some fabrics but havent as of yet. have you been to dharma trading online? your fabrics turned out neat!

    ReplyDelete