Thursday, September 18, 2008

The House that Lisa Built

Some times, early in the morning, when I have the music blasting in my ears, the sweat pouring down my face and I am running as fast as I can, I come up with a new idea!

Today, I decided to make my next house in my series of houses on linen to look like this house...
Anyone who has followed my blog for a couple of months knows that I love houses on quilts and I love to look at old houses. I love this one that I spotted while on a drive with Mr. U last week.

So... this is how I built my house...

Firstly, I printed the photo....

and I tried a small sketch nearby to see if I could even draw something that resembled the real thing. Not bad....
So then, I took a fresh piece of paper and drew a pencil sketch about the size that I wanted it to be (each of my houses is on a 10 1/2" square piece of linen). I then traced over the pencil with a black permanent marker...

This way, I can turn over the sketch and reverse the pattern for fusible applique.
I use Heat n Bond Lite (fusible web) to fuse my pieces onto the background with an iron.
I traced each of the pieces of the house separately...

I trimmed a piece of linen slightly larger than I want the finished piece (I find some time that my block magically shrinks after I finish the fusible applique.
Here are some of my windows and shutter pieces...
Then I start auditioning fabrics...
The brick fabric is cool but a little dark and too realistic for me, so I go with the floral.

When I cut out large pieces of fusible web, I usually cut out the center (a suggestion I got from Pat Sloan- she calls it a donut). This way the finished project isn't too stiff with the fusible and layers of fabric.
I trim the pattern and then remove the paper from the fusible web.
And then I start putting the pieces together (WITHOUT fusing with the iron yet!!!) to see if I like the look. Here I ended up changing that little piece of fabric under the roof because I needed more contrast...

Checking out my pattern piece for its size...
For those smaller pieces, I head to one of my scrap bins (see I told you I have a lot of scraps!)...Here, I am auditioning window colors...
My sewing room gets messy very fast when I am working on this kind of project...
I decided to add a tree without sketching out a pattern first. I just added some fusible web on the back of a piece of fabric and started cutting free hand...
Eventually, I have all the pieces of my house fused to the background...
I like the look of straight stitched black thread on the edge of each pattern piece (rather than a traditional blanket stitch or zigzag stitch). I usually use the inside edge of my 1/4" foot..
When I am done sewing a piece of my project down, I like to use my 'easy threading' needles to take the thread to the back of the project and make a small knot with the front thread and the bobbin thread. I hate for my stitches to come undone!
This is what the back of the project looks like when I bring the threads from the front...
And my ever so handy easy threading needles with the notch at the top are indispensible....
And voila! My house is built. I trim the background block to 10 1/2".
and here is what the back looks like! Pretty cool!

26 comments:

  1. ohhh...i love your house and the tutorial is great. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post, tutorial, house!
    The back is as beautiful as the front of the house block!

    Maybe an Amsterdam canal house will be great to translate into a fabric one too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That house is amazing - the back even more amazing. I love the look of all those scraps into blocks . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great tutorial. The house looks fantastic. BTW, I love your scrap box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I loved seeing all your steps to create such an awesome house-thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is reallllly great! You know, I love the back of it as much as the front! It really makes me want to do some houses - yes I know I say this all the time lol! But a nice easy project might be just the ticket right now. Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eeeeeee! That house is fantastic! And you have sooooo many pictures of really cool houses in your flickr-photos! Oh! You should sew the yellow house with the wrap-around porch! It's my favourite house ;-)

    How does this kind of applique wash? does the fusible web help it not fray too much?

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!! That is totally amazing :)
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for showing your design process Lisa! Love the finished result.

    ReplyDelete
  10. THAT HOUSE BLOCK TOTALLY R-O-C-K-S
    Lisa! Your creativity is improving with your physique!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job Lisa. I just may have to try this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the house...and also your choice of fabrics....I spend way too much time choosing fabrics! Just love the way this one turned out and raw edge applique is quite addictive....which reminds me I should be in my sewing room working on some now!! I have a cushion to make for a friend.....!

    ReplyDelete
  13. too cute! I love your inspiration house and the resulting block! So creative

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG that house is freakin adorable!!! I love it. The colors are great.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thats a great house, - I love seeing how other people do things - thank you
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  16. the house is gorgeous! you make it look so easy....love the tree too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It was a great block! And with a tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH Lisa How adorable, Great Job Done! Love watching all your projects of Houses! You are sooooo crative, Girl! Lots of Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh lisa it is just amazing. thanks for the donut idea. my little house quilt is pretty stiff with all that fusible. i'm going to try that next time. thanks for showing the whole process. you are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow, that is a cute little house! I can imagine your space getting messy fast doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lisa, so darling. I love it. What a fabulous idea. I love the free form of it and the machine embroidery look with the top stitching. Thanks for sharing it with us. It is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete