Monday, June 30, 2008

It's beginning to feel a lot like summer...

For the past two years, our summer vacation has always begun when we have travelled 9 exits down the interstate to 'kamp' for Sloppy Sister. And this year is no exception. She looks forward to the few days she spends with other kids of all ages who also happen to have type 1 diabetes. It is a full day of games, sports, arts and crafts, catching up with old friends, singing and the other stuff (along with checking blood sugars, counting carbs, ... with everyone else).

On those first few days of summer vacation, we spend part our time at Grandma's house so we don't have to travel all the waaaaay back home, then go all the waaaaaaay back to get Sloppy and all the waaaaaay home again.

Messy Marvin likes to get reacquainted with Grandma's four (or possibly more ... if she has let them in) cats. Usually when we first arrive, the felines all scatter but eventually they come out of hiding to check us out. Clark is Marvin's favorite (I am not a cat person, per se, but do enjoy Clark Kitty).

Marvin loves to play with Clark....
Ole Clark Kitty!!!
and share the occasional quiet moment (they are actually watching two dogs walking up the street).
Well, no point in letting those first few days of summer go to waste!!! I packed up my featherweight, iron, small cutting board, and an easy project,
and while I chat with my MIL, I sew.

I used my freezer paper paper-piecing method to make these scrappy blocks...

to add to these...
Tomorrow, Marvin is hanging out with a friend, so I have the day to myself. What to do?...what to do?....sew? read? relax? shop? OOOHHH! the possiblities are endless!!!!!!

Remember the bunny who was helping Marvin cut the grass in the backyard?

Well, it appears he has called in for some back up help...this guy appeared in our backyard this morning at dawn (about 5 AM) ...


and of course, I had to grab my camera! (tough to photograph without being noticed).

We don't often see these guys in our backyard but I have seen them around the neighborhood around dawn during the hot days of summer, munching the green, green grass.

Ah yes, I think summer vacation has finally begun!

8 comments:

  1. Glad your daughter has a chance to meet other kids like her, and I'm sure the camp focuses on education of management too, so she gets a fun safe vaccation. (plus you get alittle break-this is the 9 going on 19 kid right?) By the way, your blocs look great!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your scrappy quilt it gorgeous! I'd love to make one of these...someday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loooooving those scrappy blocks Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love to see these scrappy cabin blocks growing. They are so spunky! I think you may have inspired me to dig back into my scraps and make some more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't have 'camps' like you guys here in Australia. They do sound like alot of fun! I love cats so I'm with your Messy boy! And as for finding a Deer in your yard well how cool is that?????

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your blog, I always have to check in...your scrappy quilt is indeed gorgeous! Hugs, Mary

    Oh I have to check out that cupcake swap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa, my son has Crohns Disease...he went to a camp like your daughter many years ago and just loved it. It really helped him except his Disease and all the med's he has to take. He is now turning 19 and still talks with the kids he made friends with at that camp. These are great camps for kids with illnesses, they really learn how to cope and for that I will be forever grateful. Lots of Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete