Wednesday, July 2, 2008

I'm driving in my car...

I'm driving in my car...
I turn on the radio...

(okay... well, a CD anyway).

I just kept hearing those two opening lines from Bruce Springsteen's song 'Fire' (in his deep raspy voice) as I drove the roads to and from Sloppy Sister's camp the past few days.
It is a little difficult to drive and take photos at the same time, but these places that I passed were so awe inspiring, that I couldn't stop clicking the shutter!!!!


I started by just photographing the fields that I passed when I took an alternate route to my MIL's on the second day of camp (Marvin was not with me that day). There were a couple of great farm houses...
But as I approached the village of Ballston Spa, I came upon the most wonderful old homes and each one was better than the next! And you all know how I like houses!!!!!



I can't even stop!!!!
So click, I did!!!!

This house was all decorated for the upcoming holiday..
I am especially fond of older homes with interesting architectural details, porches....
Some of the homes are so well maintained..
Great porch here...
I love the details...
Well, then I couldn't just stop there....I had to take photos in my MIL's town of Saratoga Springs...
There are several centrally located streets with very large older homes...

Saratoga's motto is..."Health History Horses."
Saratoga is famous for its spas and its horse racing and at this time of year, the city is draped in all its finery....

Look at these columns!
This one is a fave of mine...
I love all its windows. I like to see this house (and others at night) when the lights are shining inside and I can glimpse into these homes! I would love to see more of their insides.

This one is a church....
This is the Batcheller Mansion...
not a great photo. It is painted with such detail on the exterior. Lots of history and it is now a B&B.

Some of them are subdivided into apartments...
others rent out apartments or their entire homes for the track season as well as for the ballet and symphony orchestra performers at the nearby Saratoga Performing Arts Center (an outdoor theater).

A great brick home...

The trees offer some privacy and make it more difficult to photograph (never mind that I am moving!)
Great roof...

Don't you want to just look out from this turret???
This one has a wonderful porch...

I am particularly fond of this style of home....
I love the stone leading up the stairs!

Now, this wonderfully old (federal style?? I didn't get a photo the house front to show the details) farm home is just before the turn into Sloppy's camp and I wish I could have just sat outside on the side of the road longer to take in all the details (but there was really no shoulder on the road so I couldn't hang out)....

In the afternoon, we could see sheep grazing about...

and they had the most lovely, vibrant flowers by the side of the road!
Well, while my head was spinning with visions of houses dancing in my head, I took Marvin to play miniature golf....

Ooops! Marvin had to retrieve his ball from the pond (of course, right after I took that photo, my ball took a couple dips in the pool!)
J stands for Marvin's given name, M is Mom (me!)...

Yup... and I won!!!!!

I did end up taking Bernie into the quilt shop to be looked at. I got some great advice on the phone, but alas, it still had a hiccup in the stitching.


But, when one is in a quilt shop, what does one do but shop!!!!!!!!!!

Some dots and a fat quarter of black and white!!!

Sharon is hosting a cupcake swap that I am participating in...

Not sure what I will do with the fabric but had to buy it while I was there!

And I had spied this pattern online,

so I had to have it too!!!!

And of course, I did get some sewing done this week ( I added 6 more blocks to my growing collection).

These are for Melly and Me's scrappy log cabin challenge!

Well, we are planning a quiet holiday weekend. Marvin and dad are going on an overnight hike to look for timber rattlesnakes, the Teenager with Lots of Stuff has gone with a friend to the beach, and Sloppy Sister and I are gonna man the house and see what trouble we can get into!

Happy Holiday!

13 comments:

  1. all those beautiful houses...swoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way...I love to walk right after dark when lights are on, but shades still up. Great to peek in and look at decor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I can't get that song out of my head! What gorgeous houses - looks like you have enjoyed being out and about this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love big old houses, too. your log cabin blocks are fabulous! as are your blocks of houses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa, I live a bit farther North of Saratoga. I love the houses there. Which quilt shop did you visit? I visit a couple in Glenns Falls. Is there one north of there?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just don't have houses like that here - or maybe a very few but not such pretty styles....they're magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who looks for rattlesnakes???? I hope that they are looking so that when they find them they run in the other direction!!!!!!!!!
    Those houses are amazing thank you so much for sharing these beautiful homes. Our house is a Cap Cod ... but I am afraid that it isn't as good as any true American Cape Cod :(.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, what are you doing taking photos while driving??? Yes, I love the photos of the houses and the poppies but at least pull over while you photograph!! Sorry, but the Health and Safety side of my brain is taking over.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa you are too much fun! What beautiful homes! I love that about the North East. I love walking and driving through all the little streets hidden in Cambridge, especially near Harvard. The houses are so old and amazing. I am always imagining what kind of lives the people have that live in them. There is this house down the street that has this amazing library in it. Plaid wall paper and book shelves floor to ceiling, really special.
    I have to tell you about this dream I had. It was of Sloppy Sisters room. I was Sloppy Sister and the mess kept compounding no matter what I did. It was scary LOL. Try not to get into too much trouble and have a great 4th! Love Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa, I love your blog and I especially love your quilts with the houses!! Where can I get one? I've recently been admiring some collage houses and did one of my own as a gift for a cousin. Your quilts are extraordinary, I smile just looking at them. Thanks for sharing!! --Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I seriously couldn't pick which house I like the best, all gorgeous. I'd even live in the shed!
    lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  12. man, I totally miss living on the east coast...those house are all so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete