Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Where there is a teenage girl, there is...

a lot of stuff!!!! And I mean a lot!!!

My oldest is 14 1/2 years old and I have to admit, that she is a very good girl. She is pleasant, helpful, intelligent, funny, and lovable. She is responsible and a lot more worldly, outgoing and beautiful (inside and out) than I was at 14 1/2 years old.

But she loves all the things that a 14 1/2 year girl in the 21st century seems to love. Abercrombie (the clothes and the men), Hollister, American Eagle, ........


She shares a room with sloppy sister (not by her choice) and is across the hall from Messy Marvin but believe it or not, she is the neatest of the bunch. She just has lots of stuff!!!


On the floor....
on the dresser...

on the desk....

and on the nightstand (I painted this many moons ago to cover up the awful grayness of the original furniture previously owned by my SIL when she was growing up- ugh gray!).


She also has an affinity for cosmetics. She happens to 'own' the entire medicine cabinet in the 'kids' bathroom for all her stuff...

She would like to be a make up artist. No doubt she has the medicine cabinet worth of supplies to start!

And along with all the make up, comes the requisite hair straightener (dh used to call it the hair burner because her former hair appliance had a searing kind of stench along with it).
She does have beautiful wavy hair (which she wears naturally from time to time) but she, like most of her friends, prefers the straightened look.

(I do have to mention here that she is a working girl, works at the coffee shop downtown, and pays for almost all of her stuff.)

She is also good at straightening other people's hair.
I took this photo of her in our hotel room on the morning of her latest cheer competition.

That weekend, I watched her and I was in awe. Who is this person that entered the world so many years ago? and how is it possible that I am her mother? She was beautiful to watch, so poised. She handled herself with such grace. It was just amazing!!!


Anyway, as long as we are looking at her stuff, how about a little quilt show?!

Seeing that she is the oldest child, she was the recipient of my first quilts. I will have to dig out my very first quilt for a photo some time soon. I began quilting just before I became pregnant with my oldest and her baby quilt was my very first quilt.

This is my very first bed size quilt. A log cabin, of course (I told you that I like them). My taste in color/fabric has evolved over the years.
This is before I knew how to actually quilt and so this first bed size quilt was tied. I used Eleanor Burns' Log Cabin in a Day at a two-night quilt class but I am sure it took me a lot longer to finish than even two nights.

The second quilt....

I was supposed to take a class at a most lovely LQS in the Pittsburgh area (it has been featured in Quilt Sampler) where we were living at the time. But I had to cancel and could only get store credit for a refund. My oldest was eyeing a bundle of 30s fabrics and so I let her purchase them with my credit. This quilt was made from a book by Lynda Milligan and Nancy Smith (the leftovers were used in the comfort quilt for sloppy sister).

And her third quilt...
another pattern by Terry Atkinson with lots of scraps and backed in flannel.

My oldest is not only talented with a make up brush but she is a very talented artist (and I aspire to be like her when I grow up).

Here are a few of her pieces that I have previously photographed.

This one is painted...
but she is a wonderful drawer...

This is as close as you will get to seeing her. She prefers to not appear in my blog (Moooom!!!)


Just a lovely young woman... with lots and lots of stuff!

4 comments:

  1. Lisa, as a mum of a 5 and 3.5 year old I must admit I am dreading their teenage years.... but I hope they grow up to be as lovely as your DD. She sounds cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lisa! Your big girl is so very tallented! And where do you find the time to be so prolific with your quilts????

    ReplyDelete
  3. One thing I always wanted to do was to be able to draw, unfortunatley it didn't happen. Your daughter is so lucky to be so talented
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lucky you are to have such a talented and gorgeous teenage daughter and how lucky she is that you recognise just how special she is!

    ReplyDelete