Sunday, December 30, 2007

Elvis is in the house!














Elvis is in the house!!!! Actually, he is on the sewing room floor, scattered about! This is my current deadlined project (I work well under pressure, what can I say?). I had promised a quilt for an auction to take place on January 26th at the annual Gala for our local chapter of JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation). I see a few late nights in my future!


My 8 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on Thanksgiving Day, 2005, and while I am not sure when a cure will come to be, money raised at the Gala and other events hosted by JDRF goes toward funding diabetes research. They have come along way in a short number of years all ready!


Last year, was my introduction to the Gala event. I volunteered in the auction room. I had made a quilt using a pattern from Jan Mullen's Cut Loose Quilts for the auction (BTW, I saw Jan Mullen a couple of months ago and she is awesome!). At the last minute, they decided to take it from the large silent auction line up and add it to the 10-odd items to be auctioned off live (yikes!). Of course, I had to peek into the ballroom to see what was going to happen. Besides the fact that the Emcee had me come up in front of all these fashionable people, the bidding kept going up and up beyond my wildest dreams....$1800!. And then the gentleman who had made that bid, put the quilt back in to be re-auctioned off. It went for an additional $1800. Needless to say, I had a big head for a few days.

I am sure that I will not be able to repeat the theatrics of last year but any money toward diabetes research is worthwhile. In the meantime, I will put on my blue suede shoes and give it a good try!

BTW, I am back to blogspot. Now that I am a seasoned blogger (with a mere 2 months of blogging under my belt :-) ), I am going to give blogspot another try.

4 comments:

  1. Great idea, I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to you and your wonderful quilt Lisa!!! WOW that's a lot of money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that elvis quilt is so much fun - I bet it's fabulous to see in person and try to find all the Elvi. At least from here, it's looking rather icy and cold (all that light blue and gray) - looks like a wintry quilt - is that what you're going for?

    LOVE that Jan Mullens inspired quilt. very lively and firey and spirited. So exciting that it raised so much money AND that you've met Jan in person - woohoo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo Lisa. You always come up with such ingenious ideas. You're going to be hardpressed to keep outdoing yourself each year for the JDRF. Better slow down....you're making the rest of us look like amateurs out here! LOL!!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete