Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Quilters Take Manhattan, take 2...

So...
while most quilters were still tucked snugly under a heap of quilts
in slumber,
I was up at the crack of dawn (which was about 6:30 AM EST)
helping set up for the main event
at FIT (Fashion Institute of Technology)...


As you can see many of the volunteers and board members 
donned handmade clothing using fabric with the 
Quilters Take Manhattan logo
which is available at Spoonflower.
If you check this link to the QTM2015 facebook page
or the Quilt Alliance facebook page, 
you can see us modeling our handmade duds.


At about 9 AM, 
doors opened and in poured the quilters....


(this is my vantage point from the raffle ticket table...
from which I did NOT ultimately win any of the goodies, 
but I did win a door prize which I shared with a couple friends)

Up in the auditorium,


Ricky Tims was our keynote speaker...


He related his quilter story to us
complete with a view of his first business credit card
which read "Ricky Tims Quilt Stud"
(I guess Visa couldn't make room for the 'io' in studio!)



He asked us to be honest with ourselves 


explore our path in the quilting world...



He encouraged us all to take risks







 and had us all recite aloud this creative credo...



By this time, 
I could've used a quilt or two to warm up
(geez the auditorium was chilly)
and my lack of sleep and early rising was catching up with me!!!

Ricky was followed by


who described her creative journey into the quilting world,,,


from the farm in Minnesota...

 (and the inspiration she took from the farm 
and her grandmother's work mostly in double knit fabrics)


to New York City
and her accomplishments in the world of quilting...



peppered with lots of humor
and
even a look at one of her double knit jackets... 


Since the mission of Quilt Alliance is to tell our stories,
through documentation, preservation and sharing our American quilt heritage,
the program continued with some interviews of quilters
including Edyta Sitar...



members of a local quilt guild....


 and Mary Koval telling her story of an antique quilt.


 I attended a short quilt show of Yvonne Porcella's work 
led by Meg Cox..





and then watched the Quilt Match Manhattan in which 
Karla Overland, Laurie Russman, and Edyta Sitar
competed for the coveted embellished quilt belt ...


created this masterpiece complete with the pope...


Laurie "Neon Kitty" created this work of art...



and Edyta created this beautiful collage


and took home the belt!!!


I attended the evening cocktail party but left my camera in my bag
except to catch this photo of NYC at night...


I was pretty pooped by this time
and had a great night's sleep
before the last day of QTM2015
which I will tell you about in another post....


No comments:

Post a Comment