Tuesday, August 16, 2011

For recreation purposes only...

hob·by

1 [hob-ee]
noun, plural -bies.

an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving.



As if I didn't have enough hobbies...

I have been following Rayna's blog for a couple of years
and have taken her book out of the library a number of times

but this time when I brought it home...

I got the goods 
(that is...the tin pans, fabric paint, unflavored gelatin, and time)
and I decided to try out gelatin printing..

and I am hooked!!!

I started with a 12x8 inch (approximately) tin pan
and dumped in 6 packs of unflavored gelatin,
stirred in 1 1/2 cups of cold water to dissolve,
added 1 1/2 cups of hot water
and left it in the fridge overnight...

the gelatin plate sitting on the bottom of a nasty looking cookie sheet
This is what the gelatin plate looks like when you pop it out
and put it on the bottom of a well used (nasty looking) cookie sheet!

I used my Pebeo Setacolor transparent fabric paints
and later, I tried my Jacquard Lumiere fabric paints
(oh... I know! I sound so official, like I know what I'm doing!)...

painted gelatin
plopped a  blob on the gelatin,
and rolled it around with a brayer 
(sorry I forgot to take a photo of that part of the process... I just got so excited!)

I used a variety of objects to texturize the painted gelatin
such as this stamp...
stamping the painted gelatin

and I stamped the entire gelatin plate...

the painted gelatin is then stamped

placed a piece of muslin over top 
and pressed it into the paint..

press the fabric onto the painted/stamped gelatin

et voila!!!

et voila!

painted fabric love!!!!

Here, I used a newfangled potato masher that I bought at Walmart...

stamping the painted gelatin plate

and got this....

printing with a masher

I even tried layering...
first just plain pink,
and then some silver with a stamp...

two layers


purple on a small mesh,
then pink stamped...

two layers


red on a mesh onion bag,
then black on the mesh onion bag...

two layers using mesh from an onion bag

(love this one!)

and this is just one layer of green

printing with a handmade stamp

stamped with one of my homemade stamps.

Yes, I am
feeling pretty pleased and relaxed now...
Me on the floor
so....it must be a hobby!!!



P.S. In two days, we will be revealing our second challenge on Tangled Textiles...
another sneak peek... (one last sneak peek) ....stay tuned!!!

7 comments:

  1. You have me soooooooo intrigued damn you. School begins far too soon for me to take on a new project but I do have some questions , just so I can be totally frustrated :)). Did you make multiple gels at once? Do they dry out quickly or can you rinse and use the next day.? Oh Lisa these are just too wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am completely intrigued. Amazing! And it looks like fun, besides.

    Yes, I'd say it's a good hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’ve made some lovely fabrics Lisa! Ever since I read about Judy’s gelatin printing I really want to try it myself and you’ve made me even more curious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice results! Now I just need to find the time to play along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that just looks like too much fun! Love the results you got, and thanks for showing how you got them - who'd a thunk it? A potato masher makes some great prints!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like fun! I haven't really been into all that messing about with paints and fabric business so far, but I'm getting more and more intrigued. Gel prinitng looks doable and lots more interesting after seeing your pictures and results - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete