Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Working for the weekend.... or is it working on the weekend?!!!

These guys are working for the weekend....


  (for all you 1980s Canadian Lover Boy fans.... lots of big hair and leather pants... those were the days!!!!!)


But I seem to be Working ON the weekend!!!!!!

 Once again its......

 Workbook Wednesday...

Workbook Wednesday

and I accomplished most of my work for Workbook Wednesday on the weekend!

This past weekend was pretty brutal....
very warm and muggy....

and my sewing room is akin to a sauna with the lights on,
so I sewed without 'em....

sewing in the dark..

and still the sweat poured down (not much will stop me from sewing)!!!

The subject of chapter 6 in the book is....

Thread Painting!!!

I have never really tried it so I gave it a whirl....

thread painted owl

(this guy is made using variegated thread)

and naturally, I tried a cactus too!!!

thread painted cactus

I have been thumbing through a bunch of art quilt books from our library and
have seen this technique of image transfer using gel medium many times.

Of course, I had to take a crack at it, using cactus flower photos from my trip to Arizona...

image transfers of cactus flowers

and now I am here....

image transfer and thread painting

Not sure what I will do with this but only time ( or the weekend) will tell!

Mathea has posted some photos of her creations in our flickr group
including her strips...


Inset strips

and her awesome collage!!!!

collage



I have to admit that I haven't really been waiting during the week while my sewing room collects dust...

I have been playing around with a UFO lately...
which started with this piece of fabric....

the fabric in question

And....
Behind door #1 you can have this....

working on a UFO

or.....

behind door #2 you might find this....

changing it up a bit...
(where is Monty Hall when you need him?!)

Which door do you prefer?!

At home with my sewing utensils!  So as the weekend nears, I might work... or I might wait....

8 comments:

  1. Good luck Monty Hall. I have that same pattern book. Tried 3 times. Door # 1 was a Hawaiian print that became a welcome table runner for a friend from Hawaii. #2 was a bed-sized quilt. After making all the hexes, I decided I hated how 1 of the 3 colors in the print looked, so I gave them to a friend who made multiple donation quilts out of them. Batch # 3 is still in the UFO bin.

    Sorry. I bet you wanted helpful advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just finishing my third One Block Wonder. I really enjoy the arranging process but the assembling can be a bit tedious. I prefer the first arrangement. Have you tried making any of the boxes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the picture of the one block wonder fabric. I perfer the first arrangement with the coral fabric grouped together on the upper right. You are really rockin' on the workbook assignments! Mine have come to a hault with trying to finish my Millennium quilt and I have to get the quilting done on a wedding shower quilt for June 13.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love One Block Wonders. I think I like the first option. I love the way it flows. I think the second option lacks some of the flow that I love from number one. I can't wait to see what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that book but have not really played with it yet. I think I prefer setting no 1. I like the way the colors flow. Your blog is always so inspirational. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your one block wonder looks great. At first glance I was more partial to the second version, but on further inspection the movement in the first one does make that more exciting, I think. I made it as far as a tablecloth once with this technique (it's in my Flickr album) but chose such a bright green to accompany the hexagons that it almost hurts your eyes to look at it...
    Thanks for your lovely comment about my collage :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I snuck out of the house to go see Lover Boy. I got in soo much trouble. I still love that song..

    ReplyDelete