Saturday, July 4, 2009

40 Days and 40 Nights....

Did I say that it was summer??????


looming storm

Since my last post, we have had a lot (and I mean, a lot!) of rain. Everyday! Rain!


rain!

And the temperatures have not even risen into the 80's!!!!!! Sure doesn't feel like summer outside... but the activities do!

This past week, I played chauffeur to Sugarbaby.....

For the past 3 summers, during the first official week of summer vacation, I have driven her to a great day camp for kids with type 1 diabetes about a 1/2 hr drive on the highway from home. It is a great time to let loose and have fun with kids that she reconnects with every summer. The camp helps to reinforce the ideas of taking care of themselves... eating right, exercising, and remembering that there are other kids just like them.... while having tons of fun.

Sugarfree Kamp

Of course, this week, she chose to have some pretty incredibly up and down blood sugar numbers (normal for non diabetic people is about 80.... she was anywhere between 50 and 511 though those high numbers are not that common these days) but she was in the capable hands of many!

And this year, the camp had a famous visitor!!! Wish he had stayed for the parents to meet him!

So what do I do while she is at camp so far from home??!!

Well, for us non-big city folks, 1/2 hr highway drive is far! So....I go hang out at my MIL's which is about half way between camp and home. Nature Boy typically accompanies me on 3 of the 4 days.

I bring games for Nature Boy and I (even though we never did play any of those!).

I bring my sewing....

the right size dresden plate for Beth

and my featherweight machine....

sneak peek at my placemat for Julie

I chat with my MIL. Hi Sally!!!!!

Nature Boy plays with Grandma's cats....

grandma's cat

explores Grandma's garden....

grandma's garden

and helps some of it inhabitants...

and he took it outside and it just sat on his hands!

We usually do some exploring around town....

I love old houses... big and small!

play mini putt...

mini putt

and this year, we explored a nearby nature preserve...

Walk through the Nature Preserve

I engaged in a little retail therapy too....

Visit to quilt shop yielded these goodies

Remember this dresden plate that was too big for a swap but just right for a giveaway?

Dresden Plate quiltie

Well the winner is................

RANDOM.ORG - Integer Generator: "Random Integer Generator
Here are your random numbers:
4 Timestamp: 2009-07-04 11:24:12 UTC"

Kris!!!!!! Kris is an upstate transplant (though I really think of the Rochester area as almost western NY) Congratulations!!!!

Have a happy 4th!!!

Stewarts fireworks icecream

6 comments:

  1. With all those pictures of the houses, I suspect another quilt is on the way. No?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bah ~ what IS up with this summer? Erin is STILL wearing her Santa Jammies (they are footless though). It's just not right! Congrats (sniffle sniffle) to Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the photos of the houses you showed. I hope your daughter's sugar levels have evened out now. We went through all that rain and now seem to be on the "summer" side of it...and I hope it lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO many lovely pictures!

    I hope your daughter is doing better now with the sugar levels.

    I love all the picture of the houses and your dresden plate miniquilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lisa,
    Was blog hopping and saw Upstate in your title. I clicked on it because Upstate usually refers to upstate NY, Then I saw the Saratoga houses in your blog. It is also my home town. What a surprise. So thrilled to see your blog and your love of quilting.
    Take care,
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had Type I diabetes for 21 years now. I went to summer camp for diabetics in Utah every summer. The people there are still my closest friends. It was a week long camp - it was the best~!!!

    ReplyDelete