Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Is it morning all ready!?

Morning seemed to come very, very, very early today! In actuality, I was up waaaaaaay past my bedtime last night (and for those of you who follow my blog, you know that I am an early-to-bed, early-to-rise kinda gal).



In spite of hitting the hay at 10:20 PM, I still got up to Mr. U's second ringing of the alarm at 4:30 AM today, so I could have a cup o' joe and go pump my body for an hour. Crazy, huh???!!!



So, I have had a couple more cups of coffee...



(One of Mr. U's mugs he received as a gift)

Do you happen to see some plans for a sewing table in there?! Just kiddin'!
When I grow up, I want to be able to quilt like this....


Last night, my pal, Blogless Deb, and I met up with my other blogless pal, Laura, at their guild meeting. And now, I am a member too! (I met my MIL's friend there who just joined too! Hi Judy!!!)

The guild was hosting a lecture and trunk show with Kim Diehl last night, which was awesome!!!
Kim uses traditional patterns to which she adds her own style, color and finesse...
Not colors that I would gravitate to ordinarily, but they looked awesome!

Check out the quilting (she usually sends out her tops for quilting, though she does her own hand quilting).
I love the borders on this one...

and how she uses blues and cranberries in several of her quilts...

The photos is blurry (or is it just my sleep lacking eyes?) but I loved this border too..
and the pop factor in this quilt...
and this one... a bear paw block!!! Love how she did this!
See! Again, not colors that I have in my stash, but love how it looks!

This one is a reversible snowball! How simple but so cool!
and one of my faves... courthouse steps!
I just love this swirly pattern in the quilting and so I took several photos. I plan to try it out at home...

Kim has, apparently, only been quilting for 10 years but in that time she has managed to have 3 books published, designed a line of fabrics, and globe trots around the world (I know! redundant but sounds good!) to lecture and teach!!
Me.... I have been quilting for 16 years...
and here I am....

making stuff....
I just entered this one in a contest...
Planning on laying low today.... try not to overdo it! I have a cold or some such crud brewing.
Nature Boy has the first teeth extraction session this afternoon, so have to find a project I can work on in the waiting room (or maybe I will just bring my pillow!)....

11 comments:

  1. Oh, that is one funky looking bowl Lisa! Love the colours. Wish I could do fab swirly smooth quilting like Kim's. WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so bummed I missed last night I was thinking of you guys while attending the crazy open house at the kids school. Thanks for the great pics so now I don't feel like I missed it all. The candy corn bowl is fantastic and VERY creative. How about taking some knitting a long? Hope nature boy isn't feeling to much pain tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim is rather legendary isn't she. Fun. The bowl is so cute and I can relate to the morning thing. I have a hard time when it is still dark out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder you stayed up past your bed time. You really did a great job of photographing the quilts. I loved the stitching on the cream colored ones. Wow! Also, your bowl makes me feel happy. I'd love to hear more about how you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm with you on that swirly, circly quilting. it's amazing. someday...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that nature boy is OK! Really nice quilts! You are so lucky to have this sort of group available to you! Good luck with the contest & I hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an over-achiever!! LOL! Her quilts are beautiful :-)
    And so is the bowl you made!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing those beautiful pictures. I am going to have to get our guild's program director to check on getting her to come to our guild. I like that swirly quilting pattern too, but I am just so bad at free motion. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohmygosh -- that candy corn basket is adorable! And woohoo, you got to see Kim Diehl. I took a fun class with her recently and loved seeing all of her quilts. I too would love to be able to quilt like that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi back to you, Lisa! I am so pleased to have finally met you...twice! Thanks for the photos of Kim's quilts. I will have to encourage my group to check out your blog. They claim they do not have the time. Imagine...you find the time to blog and they think they don't have the time! Anyway, I keep checking on your busyness and you keep motivating me. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete