Thursday, April 3, 2008

Pencil is My Utensil of Choice, More Quilts and The Answer

Last night was my third drawing class. It is a good time to wind down. When I arrived, the instructor announced that we would draw in pen! YIKES!! How was I gonna erase all my mistakes?!!!!

The objects of the evening were shoes....

I hadn't practiced much over the month and it showed. But I eventually warmed up and then, we were allowed to use a pencil or writing utensil of our choice for the final drawing.

Here are some more quilts from the show...
A close up hopeful shows that the leaves are all individual pieces of fabric placed on the quilt and sewed/quilted down (I don't think the pieces were fused first). Really cool!
This is another fave...

and a close up of the details.....

This one is by John Flynn....
amazing detailed quilting. All the quilting was individual shapes...
This one caught my eye since I am a great lover of log cabins and its variations...

This quilt was a prize winner...
I liked this one too...

And one more for the road...
Okay, so at my sister's insistence.... well, the first quilt shop, Hayloft Fabrics, that we visited has a grocery store on the main level and the quilt shop is in a loft above. I always think it smells like smoked sausage (but then that vegetarian nose of mine is very sensitive). I bought lots of goodies at the shop but no groceries. I wish I had!!!

Out of the 41 quilters on our bus, I would have to say that only 3 of us are still eligible to receive our monthly bill (*if you know what I mean!). One was fortunate enough to discover hers while still at the grocery store and she was generous enough to share her stash (and I am not talking fabric!) with me. But by the next morning, it was obvious that I would need some of my own (I had thrown about 5 in the suitcase...**just in case**). And, of course, there were no grocery stores or drug stores within walking distance of our hotel (why is that???), so my good friend, Laura, asked our fearless leader, who in turn asked our good-natured bus driver to make a stop.

Yup, I needed tampons!!!!
Not a glamorous photo but that is the truth. I stopped a bus of quilters so I could buy some tampons (and I am not getting any perks from Proctor & Gamble, though after this photo posting, maybe I should!)

There ya go, Barb.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pic's Lisa and Love the Tampon Box!! Us Girls Just Have to Have Them, When We Have To Have Them!

    I also like working in pencil - I even mark quilt pieces with them!

    Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really can't just make this stuff up! What were the odds that all 3 of us eligible ladies would have been shone down upon by the ovarian goddesses--at the same time???? What are the odds? We should have played the lottery that evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pencil art and the quilts are looking so so beautiful...

    ReplyDelete