Friday, February 22, 2008

A Tribute....

Thanks to everyone for reading my blog lately! And thanks to everyone who complimented my son (via me) on his Fimo creations of late. Since we are on winter break and his sisters have been sick off and on, we haven't done much outside the house. So he has spent a good deal of time making these little guys (and I mean they are little- about an inch or so tall)....Anyway, his creations are really from his head. And this got me thinking.... mostly about creating.

Last night, my husband and I were talking about some of the items our kids have created....

When I was pregnant with baby #3, I would take naps wen my son napped. My oldest child didn't like to nap anymore so I would tell her that as long as she didn't answer the door or the phone, or touch anything electrical, she could stay up. So, she would open our 'art cabinet' and create the most amazing, original stuff. Our favorite that we were talking about last night is the infamous 'sauce pillow'. What is a sauce pillow you ask? It is a couple of pieces of decorated doodle paper made into a pillow, stuffed with leftover sauce packets from Chinese take out. She then stapled the papers together and punched holes around the perimeter and laced wrapping paper ribbon through the holes. Just amazing!!

Which lead me to more thinking...how does this all happen? I have always bought art supplies for the kids since they were little... crayons, pencils, paints, tons of paper, inks, stamp pads, beads, and the list goes on. I bought these things because I always loved 'playing' with them. My mom used to keep my sister and I supplied with crayons, paper, and glue. She even keeps markers, paper, and crayons at her home for the grandkids.

But when I was 13, my paternal grandmother gave me $100 (which was a lot of money waaaay back when) to buy my first sewing machine. She did this for all of her granddaughters- I was the third of five. My grandmother was a wonderful knitter, smocker, sewer, crocheter!

This is my grandmother, Kate, as a young child in New York City, where she was born.


Later, Kate as a teenager. Her family moved to Canada (where the rest of us were born).
And my 'Bubbie', as I remember her, in the 1970's.
This is my sister and I (me on the right) modeling two of the dresses my grandmother made for us with gorgeous hand smocking.
The purchase of this first sewing machine must have sparked something in me. My mother registered me for sewing lessons that first summer at a local Singer Sewing store (mom would later be a sewing class drop out- sorry Mom!- but she knits a mean pair of socks). I was hooked! I think that first project was a bib front sun dress with a ruffled skirt (aww the 70s!).
Then I took Home Economics in 8th grade followed by Family Studies (a new name!) in high school. I sewed mostly clothing for awhile though I remember purchasing a stuffed animal kit (an elephant) early on to hand sew. I also did needle point, cross stitch and knit a couple of scarves.
After I married, I took a quilting class at a local community college and that opened a whole new world for me!!! While I might have been hooked on sewing, I quickly became addicted to quilting! Of course, I had 3 children and for awhile, my productivity was cut waaaay down!
But now, I have a sewing room, a wonderfully supportive husband, 3 (usually) great kids, and a whole lot of fabric. The world of blogging has opened up so many wonderful possibilities for me and I have tried new things in the last year or so that I would not ever have imagined!!!
But as I was thinking about the creations of each of my children, I never really told them what or how to do it, I just provided them with the materials.
So thanks to my wonderful grandmother who so many (many) years ago provided me with the materials to start creating.




6 comments:

  1. I read through your tribute. Yes, Bubbie provided the means and Mom provided the opportunity for your creativity but there was also something inside of you. I was offered the same means and opportunity but I just don't have the creativity gene.

    The stuff you and your children create is beautiful and original (I've never heard anyone else make a sauce pillow before!). I enjoy seeing yours and their creations so keep posting them.

    BTW - why do we have those slightly surpressed smiles on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Lisa. Give them all the crafts they want. Waaay better than what I refer to as "the idiot box". I absolutely am amazed by all those tiny fimo creations. I just saw a website where someone made a mosaic out of squares into a sort of coffee cup. My grandmother taught me how to crochet with I was around age 10 or so, and at the time, I thought it was just the coolest thing going. My mom always bought me puzzle books, Colorforms (remember those?) and during the summer, I practically begged for practice booklets of multiplication and division problems. LOL! My uncle used to make wooden toys of all types, I'm told. It must be genetic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, what a great tribute. I love all the Clay creatures and how soo creative. I too inherited the need for sewing/crafting from my grandmothers. My maternal grandmother taught me how to knit and do those looms remember those? My paternal grandmother taught me how to quilt. It's so great to have those memories and tributes to other family members before us who we now carry on the crafts for them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great tribute to your grandma, and how her legacy lives on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for stopping by my blog.

    It's funny, but home ec in school did *not* give me a love for sewing. In fact, I hated it. LOL

    It wasn't really until after Jack was born that I started to enjoy it.

    It's interesting to read how others came to be "crafters".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story about your Bubbie. I too always tried to have artful things for my children to use as they were growing up and I think it helps all children to have the use of things that stretch their mind when they are young. Thanks for sharing your story and I love the pictures of your grandmother when she was young.

    ReplyDelete