Monday, February 25, 2013

a quick how-to



I started off my journal spread by applying gesso to both pages with a paintbrush.
In order to avoid getting the gesso all over, 
I typically place waxed paper under both pages that I am applying the gesso (or paint for that matter) to
so I don't get too much on the other pages 
(life is messy!)

For this spread,
I used my Caran D'Ache Neocolor II Watersoluble crayons

Caran D'Ache Neocolor II watercolor crayons

I colored the circles of varying size
and then added water with a water brush (you can find a brush at Joann etc) 

circles made from watercolor crayons and water

The background is also crayon with water.

I felt that the spread was a little too bright for my liking,
so I splatted on some paint (Golden Titan Buff) and 
rubbed it around with a brayer

adding some Golden Titan Buff to tone down the colors

I had the perfect collection of stamps ...

Add some stamping to the circles?


so I stamped a variety of circles and stars

stamping on the circles

but found some of the stamps didn't turn out too well 
(maybe my paint wasn't dry enough)


I added just a wee bit of texture on the side
(actually I also added a sticker but it wouldn't stay on 
so maybe the painted surface was not ink/sticker friendly?)

lightly sketched out words

and of course,
I added my favorite.... text!

Ahhh......
Yes....
when living with three kids (ages 19, 16, and 13)..

there is bound to be drama!

adding some spray  and ink through stencil

I like to make my text bold and highlighted.

I also added some spray ink with a stencil


and a few shapes by dabbing ink over a stencil.



There you have a simple art journal spread.