Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Oh No! Not the 'S' word !!!

Yesterday morning, after the kids had gone to school, I was sitting at the computer, when I looked up to see Snow falling!!!!
It's only mid November and it is possible to see the white stuff, but Seriously!!!

I am not ready!!!

By 6:30 this morning, the ground looked like this...

and the kids' little snow creation....

a Snow baby on a Snowboard (actually a Skateboard without wheels) graced our lawn...

Scrappy....

this scrappy quilt has been sandwiched and waiting for a looong time to be quilted...

and I am still thinking about how I will quilt it!

Swaps!!!! Sometimes, swaps end up being more work than I anticipated!!!!

I signed up for the DSQ5 (Doll Quilt Swap 5) some time ago and was partnered with woman who "likes vintage reproduction anything- 1930's, civil war, etc., love anything childrens or with children in it. love the color red. dislike purple, bacon, and cleaning toilets. "

So, we have some similarities (I mean who likes cleaning toilets?!) but many differences. I perused her flickr album and her blog for some ideas...

and started playing with the red idea....
I have a few reds, so I started making some wonky log cabins...
but I thought to myself, is this getting old for a swap? I mean, I had all ready done a couple of log cabins for swaps...
The front of doll quilt for swap III So I decided to table that idea and look around for something new and maybe a bit more challenging (at least mentally)...

Looking at my partner's photos, I noticed that she liked Denise Schmidt's fabrics and since I liked those fabrics too and I had used some of those fabrics to make some gifts this past spring....Family Time
I had a few scraps and more (okay! a lot more!)...
I tried a couple of free pieced churn dash blocks on linen but well... I dunno... they didn't do anything for me! I wasn't sure it would make for an exciting doll quilt!

Moving on.... I thought about my love of making houses, so I tried a paper pieced house...

and I used white fabric in my block (a real first for me!!!)Gradually, I made more...
But what to do with these houses????

Well...I put them together like this... but this was kind of complicated, so I ripped them apart and started playing with other layouts....
and I even tried adding a couple of log cabins (those logs keeping creeping up again and again!)
But I finally settled on this layout ...
and I moved those lonely logs to the back...

I used scraps of the fabric to make the binding and I stitched in the ditch on those houses ....
and as in my last post tute, I used freezer paper templates to quilt identical houses...

in the white blocks...
This is the back....
and close up....
So now you know how my brain works and my projects evolve...

Sick, huh???

The doll quilt is finally done (!) and off to my (yet-unnamed) partner
and I am off make.......
Stockings!!!!


P.S. Stay tuned... that red/white log cabin may make an appearance as a giveaway in a future post!!!!