Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Math

As a kid, I loved math. There was only one answer and sometimes it was a challenge finding the solution, the answer. Math was logical. Math was pretty easy (don't ask me about physics though!) I liked it so much, I took math right through high school and went on to take a year of calculus in college.

Then it dawned on me... what was I going to do with math???

Help my kids with their homework some day... maybe ...(hey last year I was able to dig into my brain cells and help my then-9th grader understand something her math teacher couldn't manage to explain to her!) But unless I was going to be an actuarial scientist, there wasn't any reason to continue with math... so I dropped it!

Little did I know how much math I would come to need in quilting!!!

I mean...

I am constantly adding this block ....

and this block...


to other blocks....
My creation
(and how many blocks will I need to make a quilt....???)


and this number of blocks ....
seems to increase somehow to these many blocks....
And how quickly this block ...

is multiplied....even further...
and then, you could even try to throw in a little geometry into the mix...

(still working on this one... angles.....OY!)


But how can this....

cutting table
become this????

Definitely not a linear equation!!!!! (Paper piecing can be quite a mess- no math needed!)

Back to the numbers!