Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Math

As a kid, I loved math. There was only one answer and sometimes it was a challenge finding the solution, the answer. Math was logical. Math was pretty easy (don't ask me about physics though!) I liked it so much, I took math right through high school and went on to take a year of calculus in college.

Then it dawned on me... what was I going to do with math???

Help my kids with their homework some day... maybe ...(hey last year I was able to dig into my brain cells and help my then-9th grader understand something her math teacher couldn't manage to explain to her!) But unless I was going to be an actuarial scientist, there wasn't any reason to continue with math... so I dropped it!

Little did I know how much math I would come to need in quilting!!!

I mean...

I am constantly adding this block ....

and this block...


to other blocks....
My creation
(and how many blocks will I need to make a quilt....???)


and this number of blocks ....
seems to increase somehow to these many blocks....
And how quickly this block ...

is multiplied....even further...
and then, you could even try to throw in a little geometry into the mix...

(still working on this one... angles.....OY!)


But how can this....

cutting table
become this????

Definitely not a linear equation!!!!! (Paper piecing can be quite a mess- no math needed!)

Back to the numbers!

13 comments:

  1. Lisa, I HATED maths with a passion at school, thought it was so stupid and wouldn't need it in real life. But...... now! Wish I'd paid attention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your colorful, scrappy log cabins! They are awesome, as is your red and white blocks! I have also used math a lot more than I thought I would.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm having block envy....math is everywhere (as my mathy friend tells me) i do my best to avoid it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have partnered up with a doctor of mathematics.
    He's so helpful in the sewing room!
    Andi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh, i love math and i'm passing that love on to my kids. i love your log cabins and your houses. hey, haven't we've had this conversation before?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be thermodynamics. Entropy - measure of the disorganization or degredation of the universe resulting in a decrease in available energy. Which kind of make sense because when you look at your room and it is disorganized, you feel a sudden decrease in energy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was never good at math or paper piecing! Your work is so lovely though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't say I was ever that fond of maths - I was more English. You have so many blocks wow - looking forward to seeing them as quilts
    lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL! Thanks for making me laugh! I like math too....and really, there's a lot of math in quilting -or, there can be!
    I love the houses, and the scrappy log cabins are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those house blocks. And the red ones too. Ok I like all of them!! But hate math. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those house blocks. And the red ones too. Ok I like all of them!! But hate math. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find myself throwing log cabin variations together all the time! I just love them! I think i've even thought of MAYBE making something for the log cabin entry for wings falls... gotta go look up the rules and requirements first.c

    ReplyDelete
  13. your scrappy log cabin quilt is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete