Thursday, October 2, 2008

What is black, white, and red all over?!

Well, a newspaper is read all over! but nooooo... not what I had in mind!

A skunk with diaper rash???


I didn't get close enough to check!!!

A beautiful burning bush?
red... really red! but no black or white that I can see!

The quilties on my wall?

some are, thanks to some swapping goodness, but no! Not them either!

With all the log cabin blocks that I have adored and made, I have never (ever!) once made a courthouse step block and I have wanted to give it a go. So, I downloaded a block (very small block... 4 1/4" finished) on to freezer paper...

and madly began trying it out...
Now, I didn't use any instructions or guidance, other than the number sequence on the block...
and I am not sure which colors or sides should have the longer logs versus the shorter logs....
and then adding in the red, just seems to confuse the entire thing!!!!

and of course, if you throw in an even odder block...
well, then I am in a real quandary!!!!!
I am now thinking that it doesn't matter much which color has the longer or the shorter logs...
just mix them up!!!
And I really need to make more!!!

Sugarbaby came home today, a new woman!!!! (HA!!!!!)
Made in Art Club and given to Mr. U for his birthday.

Have a good night! Sleeping well again!

15 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! I like the fact that they are all different, and I love the red, white, and black combination. Plus, your skunk made me chuckle.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving those blocks. I might have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the black white and red theme...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those blocks -- especially the color choices. In all these years I've never done a log cabin or a courthouse steps (although I do have an adorable courthouse steps baby quilt that my mom did.) I've always wanted to do one though -- especially after seeing all the scrappy log cabins all over the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the colors pop and together create the look of texture, great blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The black, white, and red blogs look so good! Are they courthousesteps?
    Glad to hear you are back to sleeping well at night again, it's no fun to wake up a 3 or 4 am :-(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Lisa! Loving that quilty wall of yours! Looking good! And guess what? I have never sewn a Courthouse step block either despite 1000 log cabins. Yours look HOT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes the blocks are really great! Love the red - makes them just pop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love making courthouse steps. I've done two baby quilts ~ but the base blocks were much larger. Makes the quilt go fast. Love the color selection. I know this is terrible so don't hate me but growing up in catholic school... the answer to what's black and white and red all over? A nun falling down the stairs. Bad, I know... but funny when you are 7 in catholic school with the nuns who are really mean!

    ReplyDelete
  10. can't wait to see it finished. I love black, white, and red together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a fun way to approach these blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi upstate! you've been busy! love the b&w squares!

    ReplyDelete
  13. the black, white and red look wonderful together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a very cool mask!!!! As I said above I just love black and white and it is even better with a little red thrown in!!!! Have you joined DQS5?

    ReplyDelete